1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is the Kahler Bridge any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Apr 6, 2006.

1. If I decide to go with a Warmoth Gecko 6, all they have (in terms of 6 string bridges) is the Kahler. How good are these, and how do they compare to a Hipshot or a Badass? I would rather get a better bridge then stick to just what Warmoth offers, unless the Kahler is "just as good".

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I don't know about the six string brindge in particular but Kahler has always made a top notch product and I wouldn't have any hesitation to use one.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    buy it for looks, buy it for life....oh wait, that's kohler...

4. from all the people that i know that use/have used one,

it is a pretty good bet.

5. :p :D . . . . .Very clever response! :smug: ;)

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have heard they can be tricky to intonate.

7. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    No direct experience but they've always looked overly complicated to me.. :meh:

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    They're not exactly tricky or complicated.......it's a fairly simple design. That said, they are a lot more difficult to intonate and set the string height. It's not that it's hard to get it right, it's just that you have to loosen the string to make any adjustment to the saddle. So it's a process of loosen, adjust a little, loosen, adjust a little more......

BUT, once you get it where you want it, the entire thing locks down rock-solid, about as close to a solid chunk of metal as you can get. That's what I like about 'em. Especially among bridges that have side-to-side adjustment for string spacing, it is by far the most solid design I've seen.

If you change string gauges often, they might not be for you. My practice with every bass I get is to play around with the string gauges/type/brand until I find what really works for that particular bass, then stick with that "formula". So the Kahler works well for me.

The way the height adjustment works is the string sits on a large threaded "pole", about 3/8" in diameter, that has a large slot across the top of it for the string to sit in - basically a very large screw with very fine threads. I've had some of these that didn't fit as tight in their sockets as they could, so I put a single strand from a finely stranded copper wire in the socket, then thread in the saddle. That makes them COMPLETELY solid - absolutely no chance of a rattle anywhwere in the bridge.

And I think they look really cool in a high-tech sort of way. Not really appropriate for something like a tobacco sunburst P bass, but perfect for a modern bass like a Modulus or a Gecko.

I've been thinking about doing a Gecko........but if I do, I think I'm going to omit the bridge routing from Warmoth and use ABM individual bridge saddles like these, but in black......

[​IMG]

.........because I already know exactly what string spacing I like, and thus have no need for side-to-side adjustability in a bass that I'm building.

9. Can you post a link to the ABM saddles? Thanks!

10. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  11. I had one on a Modulus Quantum 5 I had bought from a guy who ordered it as a custom option. Very solid, but I found, since I intonate my bridge every string change (and it needs it) that it was a bit too fiddly, as you had to loosen the string AND two small bolts before even getting to the string-length set screw. I also never thought about changing the spacing between strings. For a given neck width, a bridge that comes with a bass is best to be a set width/spacing, whatever that happens to be, to the player's preference (IMHO). I prefer simpler.

12. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_id=439&cat_name=4-STRING & SINGLE STRING

about 3/4 of the way down the page.

They also list some single string bridges by "Johnsen" further down the page. Never heard of 'em and there doesn't seem to be a picture, so I don't know about those. ABM stuff is known to be good quality.

Then they also have the Neuser single string bridges that have the "fretless effect" gizmo, if you're adventurous......