Is the Lakland 55-01 the best bass you can get for the money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ny_chan, Sep 8, 2005.

1. are there no contenders?
  2. I got a G&L L-2500 for about the same price as a 55-01 and its awesome.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It could be because it is a great bass. It really depends on what you want out of a bass.
  4. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

There are lots of great basses for the same money. Depends on what you are after and what turns your crank. There are great basses for less money that are as good and arguably better value for money. YMMV.
  5. Ypu mean the G&L is better?
  6. Any examples? Great basses for less money?
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Bah, its all subjective. If you have the scratch for a 55-01, I think you'll love it.
  8. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    What are you looking for in a bass? Wide neck, narrow neck, active/passive, one pickup, two pickup, etc?
  9. What is the 55-01 sound?
  10. I'm into blues, r&b and rock
  11. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm horrible at describing the tone of a bass...

But, i've heard it called "aggressive"... I think mine barks.
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Even, balanced, big-sounding, I often use the passive switch (really an EQ-off) to get just the sound of the bass without messing with any of the frequencies. Can be a bit compressed sounding, but has very good sustain with stock strings. It's true what they say about the "B" string. It is more focused and not floppy compared to some other fivers.

It can come close to a P-sound if you play around. I've heard the upgraded electronics make a big difference but I liked the sound of the stock electronics enough so I didn't even bother to play one.

There are a lot of basses in the midrange $1,000 dollar level. At that price you're looking at basses that can do several things well, but not necessarily all things well. That's why you buy a megabuck boutique axe I guess.

There are lots of flavours of ice cream but chocolate and strawberry are the same price as vanilla. I happen to like what my 55-01 does, but I also like what my Godin BG-5 does at around the same price. They are very different from each other but I would have a hard time deciding on just which one was the "better' guitar.
  13. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    All kinds of basses can be used on those styles of music. The most important criteria is having a bass that feels great. Not good. Great. One that just makes you want to pick it up and play it all the time. Make sure it sounds great and you can get different sounds out it. That will come in handy when you're playing in different situations.

Don't get hung up on a brand. If you're looking at spending that kind of money, you're in a good position because there are lots of basses at that price and below that price, so you'll have all kinds of options.

My advice is do like the rest of us do: go out and try whatever you can get your hands on. Some will fell better than others. Knowing how well made it is is often reflected in the price, provided the vendor is being a dickhead. Go try a whole bunch of them. You will quickly see that not all of them feel or sound the same. Your fingers and their dexterity are unique to you. Your signature sound and the bass sound that makes you go gaga will be found by trying them all out. You'll get there.

Lakland make exceptional basses. There are many manufacturers of great basses in that price range. Read the threads here on all of them. In the end, it's got to get you excited. Don't get something that is highly rated, but doesn't your juices flowing.

Good luck.
  14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :ninja: Everybody knows that Stingrays are the best for the money
  15. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Hold on. There have been 13 replies to this post, and no one has said that any Sadowsky is the best for any type of music at any price? Slackers.
  16. I wouldn't say it's better since i haven't tried any lakland, but something tells me that i could probably get a tone very close to the lakland one with my G&L.
  17. [/QUOTE]Hold on. There have been 13 replies to this post, and no one has said that any Sadowsky is the best for any type of music at any price? Slackers.
  18. Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I really like my 55-01, I find it to be what has been described here (balanced, huge, etc.) I think it depends more in your technique than the design for it's "agressiveness" factor. It can be agressive if you dig in, but subdued if you lay it back a bit. My stingray is agressive by design, so I use that in my metal band. But sometimes I like to do folk/blues jams, and the Lakland fits the bill perfectly.

I think that you'd just have to try a few in that same price range, specifically the G&Ls and MTD Kingstons. I will put in my vote for the 55-01, but ultimately it's your ears it has to please.

19. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I just got a 55-01 a month ago and I love it !!!
    A very well made bass for the money .I bought it as a back-up to my Warmoth Gecko , But I can see it becoming my main bass soon .
    The active circuit is nice .
    Good luck finding one . I made 18 phone calls to 16 dealers .
    Finally found mine at Bass Central . They had several .
    Everyone else was telling me November before they had more .
    If you want to hear what they sound like , go to my bands website .
    Go to Gallery .There are several song clips , That was my first gig with it . That will give you some rough idea what they sound like .
  20. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005