Is the Lakland Skyline 55-01 a growly bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Javy, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    Does anybody know if the Lakland Skyline 55-01 (with or without the NTMB preamp upgrade) is good at growling, kind of like a Stingray or the bass on Dave Matthews' "Everyday"?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it's anything like a 55-94, it can growl very nicely when set on the bridge pickup with the mids elevated a bit.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The 55-01 is a very versatile bass. You can get a ton of great sounds, including a nice "mid boost" growly sound. If there is a better bass in the $700 area than a 55-01, I don't know what it is.
  4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I've got a 55-01, and it is sonically very close to the 55-94, believe it or not. The main difference is in workmanship (although if you're not an expert, and i'm not, you won't notice), and the 55-01 and -02's are significantly heavier than the 55-94.

I A/B/C'd the 55-01, 55-02 and 55-94 before I bought the 55-01, and was shocked at how subtle the tone differences actually are.

I did upgrade the stock electronics by adding an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. This did not drastically change the inherent tone, but I much prefer how the preamp functions. Smoother overall, with more "tweakability", if ya know what I mean.
  5. FYI

To the best of my knowledge..........the bass he uses is a modulus (in everyday, and on that album).

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had a 55-01 and a 55-94 at the same time. The 55-01 I had was a lot more aggressive sounding than the 55-94, much to my surprise. It had a different kind of growl which I found to be pretty cool. The top end was slightly on the harsh side, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It cut through like an agitated, scalpel-wielding monkey in a balloon store (you had to be there). The 55-94 (and the 55-02's I've tried) sound more refined. Any of the three are excellent basses IME IMO.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had a 55-01 with the stock pre map & IMO, It growled like a tiger in heat. :)