1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the Little Mark 800 just a stronger Little Mark III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lird12, Jun 28, 2012.

1. lird12

lird12

Mar 14, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Well.. is it? Thx

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I've heard some say it has a tad different tone, but I don't know why that would be. I think Markbass says it's basically a LMIII with more watts. It's just that they use the word, "basically." I don't know what that could mean. Surely someone on here has had some experience and knows for sure. I'm thinking about getting one myself and keeping my LMIII as backup.

3. The SD800 and LMTube800 sound completely, totally different than the LMII. Different voicing (much deeper in the low end, much less warmth, and VERY bright in the upper mids.).

However, I've never played the LM800, and there are a few posters who say the LM800 is much closer to the wonderful, warm, even LMII/III tone.

I'm looking forward to hearing the replacement of the F1/F500 when it comes out (called the 'Big Bang). That head is supposed to be a warmer version of the F1/F500 in a format that is smaller and lighter than the LMII/III. Not really thrilled with the choice of features on it though (no semi-parametric mids like the F500, and space taken up with headphone out volume controls, etc., which I would never use). However, the discription of the tone sounds pretty compelling. I saw one at NAMM, but it was impossible to play anything in that booth, since they always had their demo stage performances going.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    My REAL choice would be the Big Bang if only it had semi-parametric mids. Wish my LMIII (and the LM800 did, too). The website does describe the LM800 tone as warm like the LMII/III. And, I gotta admit, even without semi-parametric mids, my LMIII sounds great in the mix, even if set neutral. My LMIII and the LM Combo Amp in my 121H combo (LMII) are very easy to find a good tone on with very little tweaking. I'm sure the LM800 would do the same.

How much difference would the extra wattage make? 300/500 to 500/800 isn't a lot, but maybe it's enough, depending on what you're after, I guess. I'm actually torn between a LM800 and an SD1200. (Then again, what kind of sound does the SD have. I have 0 experience with one. Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but just curious for a comment or two).

5. lird12

lird12

Mar 14, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, I'm trying to take advantage of the LM800 more wattage because the Bergantino HD410 is 800 watts through 4 ohms so it seems the LM800 would go perfect with the Berg. Thanks for the replies

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    What I mean is, how much of a difference will you hear going from 500w to 800w? I'm not familiar enough with 800w to know.

7. I have an F1 and an SD1200. To me the SD1200 is a bigger sounding, louder version of the F1/F500.

Do a search on SD1200 as there was a discussion on it a while back. Some heard it as a big F1/F500, others not so much (as I recall).

John

8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You can't hear the difference between 500 and 800 watts. It takes 10x the power to be twice as loud to your ear. You will just get a bit more internal headroom before the amp clips. If you are ok now, save your money.