Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the Martin B-1 Acoustic Bass worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shandon, Apr 28, 2002.

1. For about $1029.99 from Musician's Friend, is the Martin B-1 better then the Tacoma CB-10 for $787.99, if you're looking for the best model for how much you're paying?

2. I've played both, and liked the sound of the Tacoma a lot better myself. To me the Tacoma is by far the best thing out there in the $1000 and under range.

Mike

3. Tacoma all the way, it sounds so much better than that Martin.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mmmmmmnope. I think the Tacoma sounds better. But now, your Taylor blows 'em both away.

5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The Tacoma is WORLDS better than the Martin. We had 2 at the store come in with bad necks, as well as one with a cracked top. Tacomas rule.

Also, it sounds better, feels better, is made better, looks better, and is just much much much better than a Martin. AND IT"S LESS EXPENSIVE!!!

6. Really? I wouldn't think so--despite wanting to love them, I was kinda underwhelmed by the volume of the Taylors I've played, and was suprised by the Tacoma--but I didn't play the Taylor and the Tacoma next to each other. My EVD does blow 'em all away, but that's another topic. :)

Mike

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I demoed two different Taylors and three or four Martins, but still prefer the Tacoma. To me, the Martin is a bit more "nasal", and the Taylor's tone just wasn't as tasty (to me) as was the Tacoma.

The "Mahten" I liked the most was the lowly B-15!