Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is The Matrix Real?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StarMountainKid, Mar 14, 2006.

1. StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    I know it's an old movie now, and prob everyone's been to this link, but for those who haven't it's an interesting experience.

http://www.philosophers.co.uk/games/matrix.htm

Actually, we may be living in a kind of matrix. The Universe may be a hologram. Serch 'holographic theory of the universe' sometime. The fundamental structure of the Universe, whatever it may be, creates our 'Reality'. Our 'Reality' is a projection produced by some more fundamental source, invisible to us. The hardness of the table your monitor and keyboard sits on is due not to the atoms it's made of, but is due to the invisible electromagnetic force between the atoms. This force, that we cannot experience in any way, except for its percieved effects, is more 'real' than our experience of its consequences.

2. Sorry, but there is one constant in the universe that is undeniable.

Pain.

Drop something on your foot. Sure felt real, didn't it?:D

Rock on
    Eric

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pfffft. Too much pot.

4. I've thought about this and I have never smoked pot. or drank beer. or did any drugs or any sort.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    That also could result in problems:) too many braincells

6. I know how they did that card thing. none of them are the same and their is one less.

7. You would assume there wouldn't be any spelling mistakes hahaha. Also the way they "remove your card" is that they remove all the cards that you have to pick from, and replace them with completely different ones minus one. Just as mentioned about.

"Are you still sceptical?" Hahaha.

8. What if the force and atoms weren't real but were mathematically simulated somehow? How would we know? I don't think we would perceive things any differently. On the contrary, Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity make even more sense in a purely mathematical simulation than any real domain.

- Dave

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Pft.

10. I was once told by a friend of mine, as we sat out in the woods at the bottom of a gorge near Cornell's campus, that he felt like we were in a photograph and someone was looking at us.

He was, of course, completely baked on particularly hallucinogenic weed that had been provided to him by a dealer named "Stoner Mike." I was stone-cold sober.

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Blablablabla, basicly I was waiting for something to scare the **** out of me.

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    holographic theory isn't consensus science yet.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You know, I know this thread doesn’t exist. I know that when I read it, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is just another TB thread, and a pretty amusing one. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.

14. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Whoa....

15. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Do you find yourself sitting and just staring at your hand for hours at a time?

16. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    sometimes when I can't find something I wonder if it ever existed....usually I whistle a lot just to make sure I don't get lost.

17. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    If the technology existed to create a completely convincing virtual world, wouldn't they be able to make a system that didn't look like it was being run on a 486?

Maybe we're just giving our machine overlords waaaaaay too much credit.

-Nate

18. TPM

-ryan-

19. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    ^ lol

I thought at length on this matter (years ago), and came to conclusion that you can prove this theory neither true nor false. If so, you'd better just leave it alone. ;)