Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the new Gnr worthy of Buckethead's talents?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AltIII, Oct 17, 2002.

1. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Yeah so buckethead is the new guitarist for Guns n roses. What the hell is up with that? I almost fell betrayed by bucket head, I'da thunk he'd be above that.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Guns and Roses, when it was actually Guns and Roses. Not chubby mcgoo and the guys who arn't slash.

But back to my point, bucket head is this great artistic guitarist who seems to transcend boundaries, he was made to be in the spotlight. Now he's stuck with these crappy goth guitarists who seem to take thier gig way too seriously, meanwhile bucket head busts out a pair of nunchucks during the breakdown.
    Is this the low point of buckethead's career?

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Artistic????? Some jerk puts a buckuet over his ugly mug, and the clans of morons call him artistic????? Come on, he's not even a decent musician IMO.....he fits GnR well!

3. I think the performance of GnR on that MTV thingy or whatever crap it was the end of Axl's career. He has no power in his voice anymore, and he just sounded crap.

I actually feel sorry for him cos the Gunner's kicked ass back in the day.

4. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    My wife saw Gn'R at SummerSonic in Tokyo back in August. While she was not impressed by them musically, she did remember the guy playing guitar with the KFC bucket on his head...

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Buckethead's a great guitarist. But you can't pay the bills by doing obscure Laswell projects that maybe five avant-jazzbos living on the Lower East Side will pay money for.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm getting old, cause I also have no idea what a buckethead is.

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Go here to learn about Bucket.

He's a great guitarist. Most of his stuff is hyper, riffed-out almost techno, but he's awesome...

Colma = best album ever. :D

You can't judge him just for his GnR work, since he's got...eight(?), I think, solo albums out. Plus he does ambient stuff under the name Deathcube K...And he's played with Primus before.

He is extremely weird though. And no, he's not Steve Vai.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Apparently, you've never heard anything that he's done outside of GnR. He's actually very talented.
    And, at least us 'morons' can spell 'bucket.' :p

I have no problem with him playing with GnR. It's a money gig, I'm sure, and it'll self-destruct with Axl "Past-his-prime-egomaniac" Rose in charge.

9. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I can't believe anyone actually responsed to this thread.:rolleyes:

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Buckethead is one heck of a guitar player. Colma is ok, but Day of the Robot is more my style. The guys is the shred equivalent of Rob Zombie's asthetic (horror movies and camp). He's one of the better guitarists I've heard, and his gig with Praxis was pretty spectacular.

But he's no slouch, not by ANY means.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, Axl is pretty much a living breathing joke nowadays. I also agree that the old Guns kicked. (I for one think Slash's Snakepit ruled, I seem to be the only one to think that. :D )

Buckethead is pretty awesome. Maybe being in GNR will help boost his career. He could definatley be the next Steve Vai or Jeff Beck.

12. On that MTV thing, Buckethead did not even take the solos, some random other guitar player did. I thought that was really odd.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm a Slash fan and thought I was the only one. Personally, I don't think GnR would ever have achieved the fame they had without Slash. Snakepit was OK. I may be one of the ten or twenty folks who bought the album.

What I feel strongly about GnR is that the original members had the magic combination of charisma and attitude that made them stars. It may ahve been the attitude that brought them down, though.

What I am dreaming of is a Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" type reunion one day in which the originals do renite, even if it is just for the money.

As for Buckethead, I bought his first Praxis CD many years ago. I wasn't really fond of it, though; however, I could see that there was some creative genius in his guitar work. Others say he really loves and needs that KFC bucket on his head and recorded with Axl Rose while seated in an improvised chicken coup. That may be true, but I think it is just a really cool gimmick for getting noticed and being remembered...like Slash, who wore that stove pipe hat and hid his face for years.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And having seen the goober's face...we know why!

:D

15. Actually most of the new GNr ppl are talanted. Tommy Stinson was the bassist in one of THE greatest 80s bands, The Replacements that weren't that popular outside of UK. Paul Tobis, the rythm guitarist was with GNr for a long time, recorded Symapthy For The DEvil cover with them and played in most of their after Izzy quit gigs. Most ppl know that bucket is talented, but really weird and can mimic slash's style most of the time (some ppl say they even look the same eh. Could that mean that... No it couldn't be, buts till what if...) Robin Finck is also a bit of a mystery, but NIN are quite good and famous and he was a part of them. He also has lots of experience. Brain Mantia played in dozens of bands and lives to play drums (ppl say he's practically a drum maniac). He is also a very ezperienced musician. Dizzy was with GNR ever since their UYI days and knows how to do teh GNR songs. As for Axl, I don't know what happened to him diring VMAs, but his voice is quite good. Just listen to some Tokyo, Osaka, or Hong Kong Mp3s and Bootlegs. Chinese Democracy song is awesome and very UYI like. So are Madagascar and Blues. Rhiad and the Bedhoins remind me of AFD days and I don't think anyone heard Cather in The Rye. This song rumored to be the first single ramains a mystery. Also Axl is not fat. He wore big clothes during VMAs (I have no idea why). This mae him look fat. Also he got A LOT more muscular than before. He obvoiusly have been hitting the gym. The album official date is December 3rd (maybe 10th, but 3rd seems a much more likely possiblility). The first single is liely to come out within the next fe weeks and the shows are getting sold ouut as I type it. Go ppl listen to the mp3s of thsi all star band which could very well become THE NEXT GNR.

16. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Well, I've heard from my friend that BucketHead did the GNr gig as a joke. Kinda Andy Kaufman-esq...

Well, I for one happen to love buckethead's stuff. I've got four of his cd's, and I'm happy to say each one is very different and spiffy. The thing I love about buckethead is that everything he does is tounge in cheek (with maybe the exception of colma). Plus he's work with some of the funkiest fother muckers around, Bootsy Collins is a great bassist with a smooth voice. then there's Les Claypool, arguably the most acrobatic bassist and Brain, great drummer period. Also, bucket head looks pretty cool, I'd rather not know what he looks like under there.

17. Who'se that guitar son-of-a-b*tch is a question common asked

18. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    on his head a bucket of chicken bones, on his face a plastic mask.

19. last thing i heard about g n r was that the started to do a tour with cky. they played boston and one or two othere dates. axl canclled two shos for some reason . then they played there 5 or 6 gig of the tour and all the band mebers quit including bucket head.

hasnt the ablume been done for liek 6 years or soem thing like that but they have to keep recoreding parts cuase memebers quit.and its like 6 million over budget.