Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is the original guv'nor....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flea666, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
  2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
  3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Work it out yourself. Here's a clue.

Overdrive = Produces asymetrical cliping via a IC (intigrated circuit micro chip)
    Fuzz = Produces square wave clipping via a set of Transistors
    Distortion = Produces symectrical clipping via IC's

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    This is how I look at it.

Turn the gain down, and you've got a slight overdrive. Put the gain relatively high you've got distortion. Crank the gain and you've got damned near fuzz.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well no

The way I see it have the gain down and u have a light OVERDRIVE, half way very gritty dirty OVERDRIVE, then crank it and you get very high gain OVERDRIVE.

An overdrive pedal is still only an overdrive pedal, no matter how much gain it has.

6. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Is this from your expirience with the pedal itself? Reason I'm asking is because the Guv'Nor, when cranked, produces more of a fuzz than a full on distortion. One of the few pedals I've used that has done something like this.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    No, dude, it's from the technical terms overdrive, distortion and fuzz :)

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I have also used this pedal ;)

9. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    cranked it does produce a fuzz, depending on your eq (or if your playing with fingers). But so do overdriven tubes. So it's still an overdrive.

Generally playing with pick and the gain on full it produces a really gnarly overdrive.

10. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    ah geez, is it just me, or does debate pop up every week or so?

An overdrive can't produce fuzz... a distortion can't produce fuzz... an OD can't produce distortion, and so on. People abuse these terms as if they just mean different levels of gain. Toasted and Tayste got it right, it's a totally different type of gain/saturation for each effect. Hence why a fuzz CAN be more subtle than an OD or Dist, or why an OD can be more over-the-top than a Dist or Fuzz, etc.

When i was a teenager and playing guitar, i wondered why my Marshall didn't sound like a Mesa/Boogie even though it had all the same knobs... :rolleyes:

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I love you

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah, thanks man :D

13. Peteytalkbass

Peteytalkbass

Jul 28, 2005
    AFAIK There can be quite an overlap between certain saturation/clipping pedals and there are tons of ways to build them. Many are hybrids.

ie. The MXR Distortion+ is called a distortion pedal, is designed like an overdrive, and sounds very much like a fuzz.

The archetypal fuzz sound happens when the signal gets asymetricaly soft clipped, shaping the waveform more towards a sawtooth.
    I beleive the second and third order harmonics (a fifth up) are enhanced in this case, so it can sound a bit mushy on lower/bass register notes; Good fuzz units are known for their fat sound (Page's tele through a Tonebender on the first 3 albums was often mistaken for a Les Paul) and a very dynamic reaction to input.

Could be - that at approaching full gain, the Guv'nor which uses diodes to clip off the waveforms tops and bottoms, starts to exhibit more asymetric behaviour. Maybe a DC offset shifts the signal one way or the other.

Or, it's sounding more fizzy? which isn't really the same thing - these units were designed for guitar amps, which often soften the highs.

Petey.

14. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005

Fizzy gets mistaken for fuzzy a LOT, probably because a lot of Fuzzes can sound fizzy (but not all). A few weeks ago, i inquired about a soft, mellow, subtle fuzz for bass... didn't go over too well, LOL. Go figure :meh:

15. Peteytalkbass

Peteytalkbass

Jul 28, 2005
    Sorry to be an anorak, but:

The (probably) best known OD pedal - the Tubescreamer uses an op amp and Si diodes in a feedback loop to produce 'soft clipping' probably the most defining characteristic of an OD.

The Fuzz is probably the least 'Square wave' of the lot, Most use trany's (Ge) but the EH Muff family use Silicon ones with diodes. Many of Hendix's lightly overdriven sounds were done with a Fuzzface. ( a good one reacts to picking dynamics in a way not many other pedals can)

Distortion is normally the most symetrical, and the clipping is much harder, resulting in more buzzy high end harmonics. Yet - the (original) RAT is renound for it's fatness.

My point? these are three generaly accepted designations which are extremely open to interpretation by the manufacturers and players.

Petey

16. Peteytalkbass

Peteytalkbass

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, another issue here is that most (guitar) clipping devices do actually scoop off some lows before the signal gets to the clipping circuit, to prevent mush.
    There pobably are fuzz and OD units which will mix a little of the "un-effected" lows with the clipped signal. I imagine some or maybe all of the units specificaly for bass guitar do this, to provide a tighter sound: in other words, there may indeed be a 'subtle' fuzz for bass out there... somewhere :)
    I'll dig around to see.

17. theres a little piece of paper that came with the manual when i got mine which says thankyou for purchasing the marshall guv'nor overdrive, its like an official marshall thing not just something the bloke i brought it off on ebay put in. :)

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Boss ODB-3 is allegedly a 'Bass Overdrive' as well, I personally beg to differ

19. Peteytalkbass

Peteytalkbass

Jul 28, 2005
    AFAIK The Guvnor is set up a bit like a hard clipping device, the diodes are not in a feedback loop, but clip the signal after boosting, and before eq... BUT it uses LEDs instead of signal diodes, which do have a sort of softer clipping characteristic. So, clear as mud again.