1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the P-Bass still the "standard"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaywa, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Just soliciting thoughts on this semi-factual, semi-philosophical question. It seems like you've got all these players out there playing (and even endorsing) different basses but when you ask them what they recorded their last album with, it still turns out they used a vintage P-Bass.

If the P-Bass is no longer the "standard", then what is? Or isn't there one anymore?

2. What is a standart?

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Yes it is. :)

When testing out an amp or effect pedal in my local music store I always take the MIM Precision they have.

I should buy it someday.

(btw: also think it's THE bass for metal)

4. for me? Yes...

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    P bass or Jazz bass are both standards. If you look at the numbers of those basses being used against other brands and models, they clearly represent the vast majority of the bass world.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I still think the P-bass is the closest thing to a standard, though you certainly see a lot more Js and high-end Jazz clones then you did a few years ago. I think the P will always be a standard because its such a solid, fundamental, no frills tone. For the elite player, or soloist, there are definitely more evolved options out there. But, a good ol' P-bass rarely sounds out of place in any environment.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It is still the standard. If it weren't, then why would so many boutique makers of Fender and Non-Fender style basses take so much time trying to make a better P-bass sound?

8. dangerkirk

dangerkirk

Mar 31, 2008
    Owensboro, Ky
    Yes.

9. they sound good... play good... the looks are subjective. I like 'em

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I would say P is the standard, with J running a close second.

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For me, you flip the two around in your statement and you've got it!:smug:

12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Positively: Precision preference perseveres professionally (plus personally, please).

13. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    + 1 million.

WELL spoken!

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is more accurate for the last twenty or so years, but the P-bass still can fill a mix like no other instrument.:)

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Most popular yeah, standard?, Dont believe there IS a standard. A P-bass wouldn't work for ANY of the recordings I do. A lot of engineers want that because from what I've seen and experienced, it's the only thing they know and I guess you can CALL that "the standard". For a person who continuosly wants to explore sonic realms theres no one trick pony.

16. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Ah, the old one trick pony comment. Because James Jamerson and Steve Harris sound exactly the same.

A P-bass doesn't work for a lot of people. Michael Manring comes to mind. While what he does it very adventurous and requires mad amounts of skill I will never have, how many people actually enjoy listening to him? I'm a bass player and he gets boring to me. Now, Tony Franklin is a guy a I can listen to for hours. He explores plenty of new sonic realm and does so on a P/J. Stuart Zender is another fave of mine and he recorded that vast majority of his work with Jamiroquai on a Fender P-bass. Different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn't look down my nose at any instrument that has been, and still is, used by so many greats.

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    No. P-basses are probably one of the worst instruments out there.

IMG_3220.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Maybe but I sure see a lot of Jazz and Jazz-style basses out there these days.

I might think Jazz have overtaken P... even when just taking about Fenders. Be interesting to see sales numbers for this....

19. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I like a good Pee Bass. It just says BASS.
    There are a lot of Jazzes around too, but they say MID Bass to me.

20. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Out in the real gigging world (not on the pages of a forum) the Precisions out number the Jazz basses by a fairly wide margin. At least in the cirlcles I run in. I'd say I see more Ric's and 'Rays than J's.