Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    I pulled out my tl-6 "have not played it much" but I purchased the bass because even with no amp, it has great sustain, and the more I play it, and listen to it compared to my other high end basses, I think it holds its own very well, it has a warm sound and great for finger style of slap, the only thing I dont really like is that with the split dual hum pickups, it kind of gets in the way of my right hand fingers when I slap/pluck, I have not had a chance to play it with a band yet, but I believe it can get the job done with no problem. I think the peavey tl-6 bass should get more props! its also a very nice looking bass at that! BTW, this bass fell about four feet off the wall and I think it hurt the floor more then it was hurt, still plays just fine! SOLID!!! I cant forget the nice passive switch which allows the bass to bypass the active electronics, and IT SOUNDS GOOD IN PASSIVE!
    anyone else care to share, agree or disagree? any tl-6 owners out there??? HOLLA IF YA HERE ME!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am one who believes that the TL-5 and TL-6 are both underrated basses.
  3. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Do you think it has to do with the bad rep the received as a bass maker? BTW, why did they get such a bad rap on basses? did they put out a piece of junk at one time and have been paying for it since then????

another one of my children

4. I believe most Peavey gear is very underratted.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    YES! I agree, and as the biggest fan of peavey gear, i can tell you, the basses rock, very awesome, and not to shabby of a price. the cabs, are good sounding, LONG LASTING, and great for the money. long live peavey.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A brand new TL-5 bought back in the early 1990s was my first 5 string. I sold it to a friend about 6 years ago and I've moved on to some really great high end basses.

Looking back, I'd say that that bass was, and still is, a great bass. Great "neck-through" bass tone. By today's standards for active onboard preamps, the TL's active circuit is kind of lack luster. But its playabilty is really great if you have it set up right. I recall the neck was slightly on the narrow side and the string spacing may be too narrow for some. I really liked that bass, and wish I didn't sell it. Definitely an under rated bass!
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I had a TL-6 for a couple of years and sold it. I do think it's underrated; it's not the ideal 6 out there for my tastes, but it gets absolutely NO props at all as far as I can tell, and it's considerably better than that IMO. Certainly giggable and recordable.
  8. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Can you say T-40??? :(

I just couldn't resist replying to this one! Sorry guys, but I'll take any opportunity to slag a T-40!

On a positive note, today I did play a TL-5 and I agree that it is an outstanding instrument. I also played a Cirrus 6 and was suitably impressed. He wanted too much for the Cirrus, I thought ($1500) so I went on my way. I could pick up a used one for a lot less and then I wouldn't mind so much grinding the Peavey logo off!!!! Cool bass that Cirrus.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think the TL-6 (and TL-5) gets a great deal of respect around here. It's very much like the Cirrus in many ways; the family lineage is undeniable. I love the large oval markers on the TL-5. Nice, nice basses as far as I'm concerned.
  10. bassmanbrett

Nov 14, 2003
    I just bought a TL-5 from a pawn shop. It's been beaten up pretty bad over the years. I'm in the process of stripping that ugly blue finish off. Then, I'm going to put a tung oil finish on it and replace all of the hardware (it's all pitted and faded). The neck desperately needs some tweeking; but, fortunately, it is not twisted. The electronics sound pretty good. I'm looking forward to bringing this thing back to life!

Oh, and about those T-40s! They're awesome--but I hate 'em! They're built like a brick *&^%house and they are heavier than any other bass ever made; but, I have to admit, they sound pretty good. They're quiet, versatile, good-playing instruments--but I hate 'em!
  11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    There is no such thing as an underrated Peavey.

P.S. Don't flame me, I don't care.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Care to tell us what extensive experience you base this on?
  13. yeah, like they say, dont give an opinion without giving some reasons to back it up.

BTW, I love peavey gear as well.
  14. Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    I bought one a couple years ago and I am very happy with it. The TL-Six is one of the best deals out there. I may even pick up the TL-5 I see on Bass Central's site. I also play a Rick 4001.
  15. Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    I bought one a couple years ago and I am very happy with it. The TL-Six is one of the best deals out there. I may even pick up the TL-5 I see on Bass Central's site. I also play a Rick 4001.
  16. So whats wrong with a T40?ever tried one, but I get the impression they were high end instruments at the time... string through body bridge, good electronics etc.... so other than funky country vibe, whats so bad?? :)

17. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Well I don't know if you were around and working during the time when Peavey was still a fairly young company, but if you were then you'll remember that they put out some monumental pieces of crap during this time. A lot of bad sounding, poorly implemented stuff came from their earlier years. To their credit, most of their stuff was as reliable as a brick, which seems to be the only thing they have consistently gotten right. Oh, and cheap too.

Keeping all that in mind, think about the T-40 bass. Back when the T-40 came out, things were a lot different than they are now. Fender ruled the bass world and was the standard of the industry, thus choices were limited. You either had a Fender or had GAS for one. Now, here comes this upstart with a bass that you could have for about $275.00 with a hard case, which was considerably less than any new Fender J or P, without a case. I got sucked into that trap and bought a T-40. It was just an inferior bass and I quickly learned why Fenders were more expensive, and why the pros continued to use them. I should have saved up some more bread.
  18. electricmanny

Mar 28, 2013
    If anyone has the 2nd version of the TL-6, try finding a Trace Elliot BLX-80 combo amp with the slot in the front.

Ive played my TL thru many amp applications, and it really sounds good with this Trace. None of my other guitars seem to sound good thru this amp. The TL really does though

Think it has something to do with the mid range of cabinet and TL preamp, they go together perfect