Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the picking style for the uneducated b-players?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Abr@hamBassBoy, Jan 19, 2003.

1. I am simply wondering, as i heard a someone, somewhere on the forum stating that playing bass using a picking style is generally considered "uneducated and very amateur"... Is this true? Isn't it all about finding a playing style which sounds the best and of which you feel the most confident with?

2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    NO!

Listen to some Yes. Chris Squire plays with a pick and he is one of the most respected bassists on here.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Picking is for when you want a sharper attack. Learn as many playing techniques as possible so that you can choose what is right for the song.

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    It all depends on the song and genre of music.

ahh and for whimpy guys who can't handle the pain of growing calusses.

5. Ever heard that saying "don't believe everything you read"?

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    One of the best local bass players where I live, plays exlusivley with a pick.

I think people need to quit worrying about trival stuff like putting down people who play with picks, play 6 strings, and everything else purist worry about and just listen to what the player has to say musically.

7. I can get the same tone from my fingers as I can from a pick.

8. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    You must be a medical marvel.

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Chris Squire, John Entwistle and Matt Freeman have proved me wrong on the Pick topic

still I dont use them and still think you should leave the picks for the guitarist that play bass or punk bassists.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Or have poorly trained ears.

11. I almost always use plectrums , as 'pick tone' , that bright , sharp attack , is an integral part of my 'tone'.

At the end of the day , other bassists are more like us than different , so we shouldn't be too quick to judge...

12. or maybe I just dont like playing with a pick ;) . But, really. If i adjust my preamp, play closer to the bridge and use the edge of my finger to make contact with my fingernail I can make it sound like any pick ive ever played with. Im not telling you not to use one, im just saying fingers are far more versatile. Maybe if you could hear me then you could afford the chance to be skeptical.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My experience was that as a pick player, I didn't get much respect on the session scene. All through college I played with a pick exclusively. When I started doing session work, and lost some work because of it, I switched over to fingers exclusively, and it was the best thing I ever did. It records better, gets more respect from producers and engineers, and gives me much more control and versatility.

Nothing wrong with playing with a pick if its "your style", ala Chris Squire. However, if you want to be versatile, its not the best way to go, IMO.

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes.

Picks are for people who want the sound of a picked bass. Doesn't matter how educated they are.

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I use both, for the tonal possibilities.

The only problem I have with picks is that some people use them exclusively because they are too lazy to learn to play properly with their fingers.

16. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    There are finger bigots and pick bigots. Personally, I find the whole discussion silly.

I started out as a pick guy, and now I'm mostly a finger guy. Lately though, I've been wanting to work on my pick technique. Ironic.

One of my favorite players -- Tom Hamilton of Aerosmith -- is mostly a pick guy, but he still gets the fattest tone. Don't know how he does it.

17. I starting playing bass with a pick cause all the punk guys did it, I really wish that I started out with fingers, it would've made my bass playing a lot easier than it is now.

I'm glad that I do know how to pick though. It makes me more versatile as a bassist.

Like NBC says...

"The More You Know..."

18. that's dumb. i started playing with my fingers, and am pretty good at it. i've just recently started using a pick on most of my band's songs. it sounds better, so i do it.

19. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

DHC - how does it sound better? Im honestly curious as I have never heard a bass played with a pick that I thought sounded good. You can always tell and to me it sounds...well just bad. Are you playing punk music?