Is the Roland DB 500 extinct?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tuco, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Tuco

Feb 14, 2006
    I've seen lots of good things said about this amp, but can't find it anywhere, even eBay. Was it somehow banished from Earth?

Maybe someone can suggest a good alternative?

I'm a new player, just starting out with five string. Don't need a lot of power, just for jamming and small gigs. Reggae, World Fusion, Latin, etc.

2. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Roland has never been too favored by bassists though they tend to design great bass products (and IMO the DB500 is one of them) - largely because for most of them they have dropped the ball on marketing and evangelizing, unlike their work in other sectors.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I'm afraid the DB-500 is no longer with us. It's no longer on Roland's site. I suppose the Cube 100 is the nearest equivalent, and even though it has less power I think it has better tone than the DB-500, which I've tried. I own a Cube 100 and recently posted a long review, which you should be able to find easily with a search. (I'll post it over in the reviews section soon.) Then there's the new D-Bass series, which has a 1x15 combo that's probably an absolute monster.
  4. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL

That is really too bad. I have one and think it is the loudest, best sounding small combo I've tried. Even handles a low B decently.
  5. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Well, I haven't heard the D-Bass stuff but the 210 combo and the 15 extension cab have some of the same tech - maybe improved even... The Roland stuff seems to get a lot more sound out of a given amount of wattage because of that tech, and what I have heard sounded remarkably even. So I would check them out if I was shopping for something in that weight class.
  6. gaffster

Jan 20, 2006
    I like my db500 alot, great lows from the 12" speaker and it even models a 15 real well too, but I still want more volume. I was thinking of taking a line out to drive a power amp and avatar or home built 4x10 cab. anyone have experience with a setup like that?
  7. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    gaffster, I've done a lot of stuff like that, including driving self-powered/contained PA mains and subwoofers, as well as more standard PA cabs using a power amp ... I probably wouldn't get an Avatar 410 for such a purpose because they don't have nearly the same sonic balance as the Roland. But if it has to be Avatar I'd consider instead the 212 loaded with the superior Delta LF drivers, and something along the lines of a QSC PLX amp.

But instead I'd recommend checking out the Roland D-BASS self-powered 300-watt 115X extension cab, which should mate up real well since it's also designed to do the modeling.
  8. Tuco

Feb 14, 2006
    I'd be willing to try the new models either the 400 Watt D-BASS 210 or the 300 Watt D-BASS 115.

I like the idea of on-board compression and modeling.

Generally, when would you choose 2x10 over 1x15 or vice versa?

What aspects of style, play, etc. factor into that decision?
  9. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
  10. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I just had mine returned from the Roland shop (sadly it needed some warrenty work). It's a good little amp. My first customer service experiance was less than steller (mostly because of communication errors), although everything did get worked out, it just took a bit more time than I expected.