Is the Roland DB500 really this good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrock444, Jun 24, 2004.

1. jrock444

Jun 24, 2004
    Hi, i have been looking for a good combo under 5 bills and have been doing a lot of internet researching ....been looking closely at the ampeg b100r, ba-115...fender bassman 200....roland db500..and a few others.

So far the roland db500 has had by far the best reviews...i mean i've probably looked at 30+ reviews on it and have only seen 2 bad ones. A lot of the reviews say almost the same thing --unbelievablly loud and good tone..sounds like a 2x15....size of a fender deluxe...etc. Leads me to believe it might be some ad exec. posting fake testimonials to boost sales....BUT almost all of the reviews are fairly lengthy and sound legit.

So, how bout you guys? I just stumbled across this forum and thought I would pose the question here. Anyone have experience practicing or gigging with the db500? Is it really as good of a deal as it seems (I've seen it at $350ish used)? How suited is it for heavy metal/rock style?

BTW I am going to be using it in a system of a down tribute band....drop c know down where the EVILLL is. lol It will be used at small clubs as well as practice against a 100w marshall and drums.

Thanks for any response or suggestions for a better route to head!
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Against a Marshall? Forget it, you will be buried.

The DB has only one 12" speaker and no way to drive extensions.

For $350 look at used Peavey and GK heads and used 4-10 cabs from Carvin or Peavey and you'll have a fighting chance against that Marshall.
  3. Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    Rolands typically put out a quality/loud product...yes, against a large Marshall you probably would be buried, but the reviews sound very good and my experience with Roland JC-90 and Blues Cube 30 is they are loud and good sounding size for size.

I A/B'd an Ampeg, Fender bassman, and Gallien Krueger 115 (125 watts with one 15 inch speaker).
    The GK was by far the best of these so I bought one tonight. It is very punchy, excellent lows, mids etc.
    Awesome little amp for $435 tax included at Guitar Center(regular price there is $449 before tax).

I went down there to see if they had a Roland I played several amps there and love the GK 115. I can tell you that American Musical has the Roland DB500 for $399 (best price I could find).

I think it would make you a fine amp for medium sized venues.

Here is the one like I bought
  4. i donno, i have heard some good reviews about the other models (db700), but i have heard some horror stories about how they would suddenly become pet rocks at gig times. i'd say, i hope you keep some sort of guarantee to be able to return it
  5. jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I currently own 2 Roland DB 500's. This is a very good amp for the money. You can easily play a small gig with this amp. It is loud for the size of the amp. It will not go up against a Marshall, but I have played small clubs with no problem. I have also ran the two amps together stereo thru my Fulltone Choralflange and they sounded really nice. I highly recommend them based on my experience. My band always comments on the good tone of these amps.
  6. Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    I have one that I bought from American Musical. I've used it at a small gig and regularly practice with it against a Fender Deville 2x12 (60 watss tube I think) as well as a drummer. It holds up nicely with headroom to spare. I'm very happy with it, choosing it over an Ampeg B100R and a Yorkville XM200T. I hadn't tried the Yorkville though but that's a very nice amp from the looks of it so you should check that out as well.