Is the Sansamp RBI for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Sep 17, 2006.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've been toiling over what sort of head I am in need of. For awhile I leaned towards a GK 800RB with a Sansamp in front, but more recently, I've found myself considered finally taking the preamp/power amp route. I don't have much experience with this type of rig. For a power amp, I've figured the QSC RMX 850 would be a good deal. The preamp is what I'm moreover concerned about. Here is my criteria: I need a versatile preamp. I want something that can give me a good fat, rock sound, but also a fat, round low end with chrystaline highs. Can anyone with experience with the RBI chime in? Or am I better off looking elsewhere, or would the 800RB idea satisfy my needs?

2. No experience with the GK800RB here. But I do use the Sansamp RBI. To my taste this one is perfect especially for rock. It can produce a broad range of useable sounds. 'a good fat, rock sound, but also a fat, round low end with chrystaline highs' and much more. E.g. if you want a bit of a raw edge to it, this can be done too.
    For recording purposes the RBI is not what you want: Too much louse.
    I plug it through the power amp of my Acoustic Image Focus head. I guess you could use any good power amp.

But the most important thing: Try it before you buy it to be sure it's giving the sounds you are looking for.

3. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I had an RBI for 3 years and dug it a lot, I just sold it cuz I am looking for more of a high fi sound. but for rock it is great, lots of meat in the sound and a great DI for the FOH. The DI has a seperate volume knob so you can send a post signal to the board with the drive circuit and eq engaged but onstage volume tweaks dont effect the FOH level.

4. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    I have an RBI. Like it a lot. Nice fat clean sound, can adjust for many different sounds.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    as much as my RBI experience was a good "stepping stone" phase I don't know if I'd call it "fat". the RBI is warmer than some SS preamps I've heard, but not as fat a real tube front end head like the Eden WT550 or an all-tube amp. It was good for me at the time, I'm NOT saying its bad, but like most gear has its particular sound. if you can borrow or buy/return one for a trial. go for it.

correct me if I'm wrong, but the RBI is a "modern" sound not "old school" or "fat" or "tube-like" even though it was marketed that way.

6. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have the RBI and the RPM and I love them both. I would put them at the top of the list for a rock sound - they excel at grit. They are also very capable of doing clean with the gain/blend turned down. The RPM is darker and warmer souding to my ears, and suprisingly it also has significantly more gain. They are actually very different beasts though they are capable of similar sounds as well. I find them to be as warm as many tube units out there.

Don't be put off by the lack of extensive eq - they are voiced very well and I have gotten great results setting everything at noon - subtle boost and cut from there can go a long way.

I think their low price gives them the perception of not being a "serious" piece of gear, but let your ears decide.

Pair them with a good power amp - I have the RBI and RPM each paired with an Aguilar DB728 and it's quite impressive sounding. I was also playing around with them yesterday going into an SWR Power750 with excellent results. The speakers I use them with are SWR 12-stacks and a Mesa Powerhouse 610.

JR

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Been using the RBI for a while now...

Great sound for rock, especially "harder" rock, IMHO, but it's a great all around pre. Your highs can get pretty bright if you want them to on the RBI. I'd worry more about your choice of power amp though. I'd get a PLX2 1804 anyday of the week over an RMX or better yet, a Crest CA9 :D

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021