1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the Schecter Blackjack ATX C-4 Bass any good or is Schecter a good company?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funk$tar, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Is this bass or company worth the buy!? I've never bought a Schecter before so I wanted to know if this bass can play some reggae, slap bass, and good tapping? Or should I buy an Ibanez SR300M?
    Thanks for all the help!
    Also same with the Schecter C-4 SGR?

2. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    I have a Model T and it is a great bass

Rebopmass likes this.
  3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Schecter makes a lot of nice instruments played by a lot of pros.

RandalPinkFloyd and Immigrant like this.
  4. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Nice!

5. Schecter is very underrated great guitars at a great price.

TonyP- and Immigrant like this.
  6. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    That's good man!
    Do you have one?

7. MrBKerth

MrBKerth The Gypsy Bravado

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    Can't speak for there basses but there guitars were good to me. Fairly cheap to

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    they are over in burbank, my friend works there, pretty great stuff

9. PAguy

PAguy

Aug 19, 2005
    I bought Schecter Blackjack 5 string on sale at Musician's Friend. I could not get a tone I liked at all! The body was uncomfortable, as there is no 'relief' cut into the body where my right arm rests. The hard edge of the body cut into my arm and made practicing painful. Absolutely beautiful looking bass though. I ended up sending it back.
    I bought a Schecter Studio 5 off Craigslist and I love it! Great sound, comfy body.

Try before you buy!!!

10. I have a Schecter Elite 5. It is great. I can get any tone I want. The build quality is great. I chose it over the Ibby. The are very close IMHO. Just a caution, make sure you play both. They are very, very close and personal preference is a big factor!

11. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
  12. I have a Hellraiser 4 strung BEAD, and a studio 5er, for the price they are very good, but I am spoiled now because I picked up a Music man Big al and it cost way more money but it is way superior .

13. ironbullen

ironbullen

Jan 7, 2008
    Sweden
    www.dethroneswe.bandcamp.com
    I have major GAS on a white blackjack, my only concern is the pickups since i want to try out EMG soapbars instead. The hellraiser bass has more appealing specs overall but i don't really like the colours. I hate making decisions...

14. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    Sit down...gonna tell you a story.

Not long ago, I decided that I needed to add a 6-string to my arsenal. Too often, I wanted or needed a low D, and just the same, needed a high D for a lot of what I started writing for my solo work. After a few days of thinking about it, I figured out that I had a list of criteria to be met. To start with, a 35" scale was a must for me. I started out on a 35" 5-string. To this day, I'm more comfortable with them than a 34" scale for 5-strings. I figured that adding a 6th string for the first time, I should follow suit. I tried a cheap Ibanez 6-string at a local guitar shop. It confirmed my suspicion. So 35" scale it was. I also looked for one thing I'd never had in an instrument. Neck-through construction. Too often, the heel feels weird when I'm playing up high on a G. I also wanted a 3-band EQ so that when I'm playing in a band setting, it's easier to scoop the mids on a whim than going and playing with my amp.

After playing around on a few instruments that could at least give me an idea of what I needed and wanted and watching a LOT of videos, I decided my contender list was an Ibanez SR506, a Spector Legend 6, and a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6. I loved the Ibanez's tone. Of all of them, it would be the one that I wouldn't be inclined to modify with new pickups and a pre-amp. But it's a 34" scale bolt on. Granted, Ibanez's heels are more comfortable than a lot of other companies, I still wanted a neck-through. So out that went. I've always wanted a Spector. But as I've matured as a musician, I learned that I wanted the RIGHT Spector. The Legend 6 isn't it. If I were to get one, I'd be happy with it after mods, but it's still a bolt on. I don't have $2800 to spend on an instrument right now (Euro 6XL). NEXT! So I came upon the idea of a Schecter. I had tried one out a few years ago. I loved the feel of it. But the tone SUCKED. I passed it off as that's how it was...the instrument, and I didn't give them a second thought for the time being. I looked at the Schecter Stiletto Studio 6. It had everything I wanted in a bass in my price range. Found a few videos where slapping didn't apply, and I hated the tone, still. Until one night, I was watching more demos of random instrument, and I found a video where they had restrung it with a set of DR's (which is my brand of choice). The difference was night and day. I found the instrument I was looking for! Granted, I'll still probably change out the electronics for EMG DC's and a different pre-amp, but it's a good starting point.

The moral of the story is simple. If you find an instrument that you like the feel of, but the tone just isn't there, there's a chance it could just need different strings.

Some food for thought.

SquidgeyB and Aaron Liu like this.
  15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 2 I've had were excellent. I prefer them to Ibanez easily. Don't be scared off because their name's not Fender.

RandalPinkFloyd likes this.
  16. Pachap

Pachap

Jun 21, 2014
    Savannahstan, GA
    I know little about their basses, but they make some good guitars. If I was in the market for a new guitar they would certainly be in the mix. I've played a few of their guitars that were just amazing to me, especially the semi-hollow they make.

17. I own a Schecter Omen Extreme 4 left handed bass and admitedly being a amateur bass player that is still learning I think it is a awesome bass for the money you spend.
    Fit and finish are top notch, setup was pretty good ( i watched several videos and tweaked it to my satisfaction) and the electronics are pretty good. Later on I may up grade
    mine with EMG's and the BTS system. All in all you cannot go wrong with a Schecter.

18. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    I had a Schecter Stargazer 4 that wasn't really my thing, but was a nice bass all the same. Put together well, and got a way huge variety of tones out of it. For the money, a pretty good bet.

19. I got a good deal on a used Schecter Studio Stiletto a few years ago when I wanted to try my hand at 5-string, and last year a 4-string when I wanted to give fretless a whirl. The main reason I sold them and moved on was because the necks weren’t to my liking. The strings on the 5-string were too close together and the neck on the 4-string was to skinny (I have big hands).

But overall I was very impressed with the quality of the Studio Stilettos, which I felt was better than at least a couple of brand-name instruments I’d had in the past that cost much more. I even did a head-to-head evaluation between the 5-string and my “pride and joy,” a custom hand-made 4-string I’ve had for nearly 20 years, and the Schecter held its own. Since that time I’ve determined that my 4-string is superior to the Pedulla Thunderbass I subsequently acquired, so it actually should be worth more than double the value I assigned to it in the link – which only serves to make the Schecter an even more amazing value.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

20. I owned a Diamond P5 and a Model-T, and both were fantastic. If I manage to sell the bass I currently have for sale, I will be looking for another Diamond P5. Awesome bass.