Is the Series II Professional Upright Bass Bag Any Good?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Natmain, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Natmain

Natmain

Apr 18, 2010
  2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    It would be very strange for Gollihur to sell a bag with a bow pocket unable to fit a bow case.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You'd think that would be true for everybody, right? But the Lemur deluxe case bow pocket doesn't fit my bow case. Measure twice, cut once...

4. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Send the G-men your bow case measurements (assuming they don't have one of their own), and they'll tell you. They've always responded to my questions from the other side of the world promptly and in good faith.

5. Matt Power

Matt Power Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Magnolia, TX
    I had one of those before I left the US for Asia...NICE BAG!!!

6. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    The Finale bow case isn't a standard configuration. More triangular in its tapering. Personally, I leave the case behind and use the bow pocket directly. The bass itself provides the necessary rigidity, is my thinking.

7. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I'd put a piece of cardboard or something in there - I've seen bows that got broken in bow pockets when someone of a similar opinion as yours walked into a doorframe and snapped it down the middle.

8. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Good advice, this. A cardboard mailing tube in the bow pocket will go a long way toward keeping your bow safe. ;)

9. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area

Well, it's a carbon fiber bow, so I think of it as being somewhat resilient. But I do find myself wishing that cases came with some sort of rigid insert for the bow pocket.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021