1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the Steve Harris Signature P-Bass worth the money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chelosky, Jan 10, 2013.

1. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    As far as I'm led to believe, and this is from Friedland himself, he is paid by the manufacturer to review gear. His thing is he won't review gear he thinks is bad.

I don't think Freidland is bribed to say nice things, I think he's pretty straight in the way he does things. And he's certainly entertaining. But nonetheless - manufacturers pay him to review their gear.

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Friedland's own words (from 2010):

"I am starting to do independent demos, for example, the Lightwave stuff. This is a case where the manufacturer hires me to demo their stuff and post it on Youtube. In that case, I see myself as representing them, and so I am not totally objective. However, if I don't like something, I'm not going to do it. I'm not saying I couldn't be bought, but nobody in the MI business (musical instrument) is going to pay me enough to go through all that work for something I hate. The budget is not there. So... for my modest fees, I will agree to work with companies that have something redeemable to offer. And if it's something I'm personally interested in, even better!"

3. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    As someone who used to write for Bass Player magazine, I can tell you that this is false (as to most publications; I don't know about Mr. Friedland personally). The simple fact is that the instrument industry is growing larger and larger, which means there are more and more instruments to review. When you have a demo room full of new gear, there is no reason to waste time on stuff that is no good. Thus, reviews become increasingly positive because the poor products are less likely to be reviewed.

This is even more so the case in a magazine like BP, where a large percentage of the products are reviewed "in the field" -- that is, the reviewers take them to rehearsals, gigs, etc., rather than simply fiddling around in their office. You aren't likely to take substandard gear around like that when there are worthier options to review.

The other side of the story is that, of course these magazines provide reviews of companies that also happen to be the same companies that buy ads... there's only a small number of bass manufacturers with the marketing budget to buy ads, and those companies happen to produce the vast majority of the instruments out there.

4. You know, it took me a long time to get over the MIM/MIJ thing -vs- the MIA issue that always pops up here on TB. I wrestled with the purchase of a MIM RoadWorn bass for a long time as it was wow for a few hundred more I can get a MIA std. The more I played the MIM the more it was like ummm..... Screw it! What a great instrument. In 25 years of playing bass and going through so many MIA PBasses, the MIM PBass was the "one". Why? I don't know, really though it was just one of those things. People can knock MIM all they want, the higher end MIM's are every but as good as MIA. I'm not sure but I think the SH sig is a MIM bass. I do believe they pay better attn to detail to them above the std lines.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. If it was a MIA instrument it would prolly be a whole lot more $$ for many reasons discussed to death here on TB.

Your best bet is... ( and I'm sure it has already been said) is to try before you buy if you can.

I've really fallen in love with my P bass and now prefer it to any other bass I own. It just plays and sounds killer and I never ever out of all the P's I've owned, could bond with them. No matter how hard I tried.

Good luck with your decision.

WG

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021