1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the StingRay control plate necessary?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimWilson, Feb 19, 2013.

1. I noticed that my StingRay's control knobs come up through the wood before passing through the control plate. Previously, I had assumed there was a big empty cavity in there that made the plate necessary, but it appears to me that I could remove the plate for a cleaner, less "blingy" look.

Other than the added strength reinforcement of the metal plate, is there any reason it HAS to be there? Can't I just put the knobs through the holes in the wood?

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You must have a dual pickup StingRay then.
    The single pickup StingRays have a big empty cavity on the top of body.
    They're just keeping the classic image of the banana plate on the dual models.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It also provides a ground connection between the pots and some shielding, plus it's stronger than the wood around it. Other than that I can't imagine it does much more than look "blingy."

4. Yep, you're right: it's an HH4

I'm not a super physical player, so I'm not too concerned about the sacrifice in strength around the pots. But if it's gonna buzz and hum like a stoned bumblebee, I guess I should leave it be.