Is the store trying to get over on me with this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 21, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    This new fretless 5-String bass from SX guitars features classic jazz styling at a great low price!
    The headstock features 4+1 tuner separation (4 one one side, one on the other)
    Dual cutaway solid Alder body; it is lightweight yet produces a full range of colorful tones
    J-Style pickups offer superior output and two volume and one tone controls let you tailor your individual sound
    Truss rod adjustable Maple neck with Rosewood finger board and dot inlays
    The 3-Ply pickguard offers a vintage tint for an impressive look
    D’Addario strings are installed at the factory
    All Chrome hardware gives this bass a rich look
    Scale length is 34"
    Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8" at the 20st fret: 2 5/8". String spacing at bridge is 2 11/16"
    Overall length 45"
    Width at the widest point: 13"
    Actual Weight is only 9 lbs

I was actually at the store playing it (Rondo's Music) and it was alright, nothing phenomenal, very decent, good for the price, but I was told by the guys at guitar center that it was a very low end, cheap bass and XS makes bootleg basses and showed me some fretless basses that kicked ass but was out of my price range.

Now, the guitar center guys may just be after my money, that's a no-brainer, but is this XS a good bass? I never heard of this line before but the price is right. But I'm concerned if it's crap. I was pressed for time and didn't really "jam" on it thouroughly (sp).

All feed back will be appreciated! Thanks!!!
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000

Not that I find that hard to believe, but I find that hard to believe. There have been more threads about that brand than probably the actual Fenders that they copy. The SX megathread is far and away the longest running thread with the most posts that TB has. :eyebrow:

The basic consensus is that, in that price range, it's very hard to beat SX basses.

PS- Most people at GC have no clue what they're talking about.

Get comfy and start reading.
  3. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    yeah man grab a coffee :p IMO it would have to be a real piece of firewood to not be worth the money they are charging
  4. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    Thanks for the link! I did a search before this thread was posted but came up with nothing on this site..... :confused:
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    If you did a search for "SX basses", you might not have gotten anything as any phrase containing less than three letters isn't recognized by the search feature.

On a somewhat related note, that exact bass (though fretted) will be waiting for me when I get home today. Fedex tracker says I got it at 11:00!
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    They're fine for the money, but they are what they are, a low dollar bass.