Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is the SX SB-301 a good bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Schizox, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Schizox

Schizox

Jul 23, 2004
    i want a really cheap bass (no more than $140) and i like he look of it and it seems to be nice. i dont want a Precision-like bass or a JazzBass-like bass because i really dont like the Fender look. i don't say i want a really pretty bass, just not a Fender-like bass. i also think it is better than the BG-180 coz it haz 4 knobs and the BG-180 has 3 knobs.
    so what is your opinion about it?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont judge a bass by the amount of knobs..

Id go with the BG-180.

This one just looks like an Ibanez rip off = suck.

3. Schizox

Schizox

Jul 23, 2004
    ive heard it has something to do with a brand named "Bass Collection" or something... so i dunno...
    and would you go with the BG-180 only coz the SB-301 looks like Ibanez rip-off?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Out of all the Essex basses, ive never really heard anything extremely positive about the SB-301. It seems least Essex-like of them all and I think it has the least to do with the factory where the other ones are made, hence the Bass Collection thing.

5. Agreed, however, the function of the knobs could be important. It looks like the BG-180 has one volume and two tones, where as the SB-301 has two volumes and two tones. That could be an issue, because to me, it would be nice to be able to have the ability to blend or solo the p'ups, instead of just having them both permanently full on.

I don't know about judging an SX in this category either. Same pickups in both and same body woods in both, no? If so, don't know what tonal differences you'd notice, especially in the price range.

Of course, I could be wrong on both accounts. In which case, I apologise in advance. :bag:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id rather see a fender rip off than an ibanez rip off ;)

I think its the headstock on the SB-301 that kills it for me though.

7. Schizox

Schizox

Jul 23, 2004
    ok thank you very much! :)

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Bass Collection" basses have been produced for at least 20 years. The company that made them (SGC Nanyo) now has a brand name called Godlyke.

I don't know if SX and SGC Nanyo are related, but I think not.

9. Schizox

Schizox

Jul 23, 2004
    oh i see the opinions about this issue are a little ambiguous...
    but so far it seems like i should buy the BG-180.
    if someone have anything to add, please tell me. if not, i will go for the BG-180.

10. I've heard good things on the 180, but the 301 for one scares me to look at and also I haven't even heard any reviews on it. I think everyone is afraid to try it...

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ditto that Tyler, the 301 scares me because its NOT a traditional Fender mounting scheme... so you can't swap out the neck for something else, if need be.

12. Schizox

Schizox

Jul 23, 2004
    ok i will go for the BG-180. i dont wanna be any kind of mysterious-and-cheap-basses-pioneer :)

13. Lefty1994

Lefty1994

Apr 15, 2009
    dont do it man. I have this bass. it sounds nice and everything. but it has a really weird feel to it and the neck is really cheap and it dosn't play very well. just buy one of SX's P Bass copies. they're REALLY NICE!!! BETTER THAN A FENDER!!

14. My sarcasm meter have implode 8 times before it explode and did a second big bang....

15. 1.Is it on the rondomusic page?
    2. It is gorgeous.(i did a google search)
    3. Looks like a Tune bass.
    4. GRAB IT
    5. PLAY THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!!

16. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Since this thread is 5 years old he probably bought the bass. LOL! :D

17. THAT IS BECAUSE OF THE GODDAMN SEARCH FUNCTION!!!! Goddamn i hate that function.....

18. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Yikes. Having a bad day, NoobOnRoad?

It's okay. Step away from the computer and nobody has to get hurt...;)