1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the TD-100 Tubey Enough?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kramsey, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    I wasn't sure whether to put this in live sound or recording because i will be using it for both, anyway here's my deal. My current setup is a Warwick Corvette/ EBMM Bongo-Markbass LMII-Aguilar GS212. This setup serves me very well, but recently i've been recording in a country band and the solid state tone is just not cutting it. I need tubey tone!

all this to say, Ive tried the GT Brick and love the tone, but i recently found the TD-100 and i'm wondering if anyone has tried this and how "tubey" and warm is it? and how it compares to the brick

-thanks

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    the summit is a modern take on tube, warm but clear. if you want full on thick warm old school tube try a-designs REDDI.

the summit is still a nice box and will definately warm up your sound.

3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    The TD-100 is almost too tubey for me, and I'm no fan of solid state. But like markjazz says (I'm using his TD-100 after all), it's modern and clear. There's not a whole lot of "pleasing muddiness" in the tone. But it's an absolutely musical and kick-ass sounding box which will give you warmth and separation and punchy clarity.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed. The TD-100 sounds killer, no doubt about it, but it may not be what you're looking for in that Country application. The REDDI is a step up from the Brick; I won't say it's "tubier", but the tone is better-loved by recording engineers.

If you are playing old-school country, look for the REDDI or the TAB-Funkenwerk V71 or the Demeter tube DI; though the Brick is great too and will serve you just fine. If you are playing more modern country, a lot of Nashville guys parallel-track through an Avalon U5 (super clean) and a Sansamp (for tube-like dirt). Apparently those sounds in parallel are a hit with Country music engineers and consumers.