Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the tonal difference between and EMG P and J similar to that of passive P and Js?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Skips, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    I always tend to think of J's having one tone, and P's having one tone, and then EMGs, no matter what shape, have the "EMG" tone. Is this wrong--is there a big difference?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can't vouch for the EMG-J, I never really had much to compare it to, but the EMG-P has the P sound with the EMG bite. It's a totally great pickup.

3. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I must say that I own several emg's, and they all sound very different. The J sounds like a J and the p sounds like a P, but remember that they have this razorsharp performance that seperates them from other manufacturers. I also own the dc and cs pickups, they sound totally different then the J or p pup's. But remember this, the emg's sound only as good as the bass they are on. On a great bass they sound great and on a bad bass they sound like crap(well, not really).