1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass worth the extra money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Madcap, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Madcap

Madcap

Oct 21, 2012
    Australia
    I have been playing Bass for two years now, and I was looking high and low on affordable Bass guitars for the coming year and I noticed the Squier Affinity Jazz Bass which I instantly loved. At $280 I thought was really cheap for such a Bass that get's rave reviews over, and I'd be able to get it before the year is over for sure. But then I browsed more and found a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass for $450. Being $170 more than the former I was wondering if it's really worth the extra money? That also means waiting past the new year just to rack up some more cash. With this SX Bass I've had for a little over a year, it's getting to be "broken down". I definitely want to up the ante a bit.

It's clear to see that the latter is better, I've seen videos and reviews of it and such and it looks like the Bass for me. But before that I thought the same with the Affinity. It probably doesn't seem like that much more money wise but for my dad, that's a different story. :D

2. I was going to say that your prices are absurd...until I noticed you're in Australia.

It's a MUCH better bass. Even here, where the VM Jazz is closer to $250, it's 10x the bass that the affinity is.

3. Madcap

Madcap

Oct 21, 2012
    Australia
    I think I'm leaning more towards that then. But I still need to buy a decent amp since I'm stuck with my SX one. (Yeah, I bought full SX everything haha.).

4. SX isn't necessarily bad. :) I'd suggest looking into the GK MB series, or the Ampeg PF, or the ToneHammer TH. They're small, but pack a HUGE punch. :D

5. Madcap

Madcap

Oct 21, 2012
    Australia
    Oh trust me, if you look at a topic I made long ago I have a few issues with it. It's still holding together though. I had a Vox Pathfinder and it was amazing.

6. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    The VM series is amazing. Definitely worth the extra money. That is all. Enjoy!

7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    The price difference is smaller in the US, but having checked out an Affinity, a Deluxe Active, and several Vintage Modifieds, I found that the VMs were the best of the family and well worth the extra money over the Affinity.

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, go with the VM....completely different animal. If you can swing a Classic Vibe Squier, I'd go for it, but there isn't a thing wrong with the VM's that a pickup change couldn't fix.

9. I have two VMs, the Jazz (natural finish) and the Precision (Amber), both are great basses.

10. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Yes. My VM Jazz compares favorably with my American Standard Precision.

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I just played a VM Jazz bass in a local store today and was totaly impressed. I have been playing and collecting a long time. Real nice regardless of price.

12. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    but if you're shoppin' for an amp altogether, and you were talkin' about a new series of the Affinities, new Affinities keep the alder body construction but with the former Standard series (now discontinued) features, so already are substantial upgrade from your Sx

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    definitely the VM jazz. played the one I have side-by-side to a Amer. Geddy Jazz...brought the VM home. Also have a VM jag (black / red. tort) but the VM jazz is my main bass - a real workhorse.

14. Need to get Marko138 in here, his affinity leaves his VM in the dust. both are great basses tho.

15. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    Sold mine, did not like the overtones. My SX and Brice short scales with a little work sounded much better to me.

16. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    if I were to rate the squire series' on a scale of one to ten, affinity would be a 3.5, vm a 4.5, and cv like a 7.5 or 8

17. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    True story. While I LOVE my VM jazz the Affinity P is a much better bass in nearly every way. I'm sure this is a very case-by-case basis. But that's how they stack up with the 2 Squiers I own.