1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the weirdness of the 'bass face' directly proportional to the complexity of part?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Pimmsley, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. NO !

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. It's a bit more complex than that...

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. What 'bass face' ?

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Carrots

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. I've been wondering, as the title suggests, if the weirdness or deformation of the 'bass face' directly proportional to the complexity of bass part or is there more going on with all that twitchin' ?

This is my first poll, thanks in advance for your vote and comments...

:D

2. It is far more complex than that, my friend. Many factors are involved. Allow me to elucidate:

1. The difficulty of the part
    2. The heaviness of the song
    3. The soulfulness of the song
    4. The boringess of the song
    5. How many hot girls are in the audience
    6. How hot aforementioned hot girls are
    7. Whether you are at a jazz club or a heavy metal festival
    8. Whether you are playing a precision with flats or a B.C Rich Warlock with bloodstains all over it
    9. The overall expressiveness of your face
    10. How badly the drummer is messing up time.

And many, many more.

3. Lol... Nice !

11. What colour 'tort' pick-guard ? Maybe ?

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Also whether or not the bass player is Pino Palladino :bag:

5. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    While the rest of my body moves, my face remains ever so stoic. I don't want to give the opportunity for anyone to get a pic of me pulling a bass face. Plus i think people who deliberately make faces are generally twatty (sorry don't mean to offend anyone that's just my opinion) but it's rarer for bassists to really do it. Like guitar players, You're not selling me more on your playing and music just because you're closing your eyes, raising your head and contorting your face. It just makes me think "wow, this guy really loves his playing". But i remember this guy in a show in a band playing double bass who was pretty much reacting to every note he was playing with a contortion of his face and head. God i wanted to walk onstage and punch him in the face. It might have helped if the music didn't suck. But anyone making faces like this will be in a terrible band, no one worth their salt would tolerate it. If he'd been in my band it would have been, ok either you stop this or i'm smashing your double bass right now. In the immortal words or Robert Downey jr., never go full ret*rd. This guy went full ret*rd. And sorry i'm not buying it, i'm not buying that you can't help yourself.

6. IMO bass face has nothing to do with the complexity of the bass line. It has to do with how in to the song you are while playing. It's kind of like the face you make during sex when you reach that "special moment"! :D

7. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Not sure how much bass face I have but I do know that when I click on an envelope filter my mouth pulls down gradually to one side and my tongue gets really stressed. I judge a filter pedal according to how much my mouth hurts after playing it. The one that has caused me the most pain so far is the 3Leaf Proton which was built by the rather accomplished bassfacer Spencer.

8. It would appear there is indeed more to the equation than I realised ;)

9. It is a combination of:

A.) The weirdness of the bass player
    B.) The skill level of said bass player
    C.) The difficulty of the bass part, and
    D.) The degree to which the gui****/lead singer is being molested by groupies during the song

10. Daniel L

Daniel L

Jun 12, 2012
    Edinburgh
    I think that plays a big part

tumblr_mletrigaS71qdcu4io1_250.

11. Omg classic ! Lol

12. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    She's like a female Michael League!

13. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Dec 4, 2012
    The only weird face when I play happens to whoever is listening to me.

14. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nice!

......who is she? :bag:

15. I gotta admit that Ampeg rig looks killer too !

Is that JimmyM a few years ago ?

16. Daniel L

Daniel L

Jun 12, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Este Haim from Haim, three sisters making some pretty cool music

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Beer and beans.

18. NinetyFive

NinetyFive

Jun 22, 2013
    New York City
    Mike Watt thinks you should not care so much what people think of you.

WqqwQ9d.