1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the Yamaha THR-10 the best choice for a versitle home practise amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AmyM, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AmyM

AmyM

Nov 23, 2017
    I've been looking for a portable bass amp to carry around the house (and possibly bring outside on a rare sunny day). So far the Yamaha THR-10 and its sibling models THR-10C and THR-10X are looking the be the best option. I also had a look at the Roland Micro Cube and I'm not totally sure which is best. Anyone used any of these amps?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Edit: Where are my manners???? Welcome to TalkBass!!!!!

That Yamaha for bass?

Physics is what it is. Something that tiny and that cheap is not going to sound good on bass. It just isn't. Go a little lrger and quite a bit more money and you can get into some small combos by Phil Jones Bass and a few other.

My advice? Get a small mixer and some decent ear buds. You can practice whenever wherever and jam along to music. Get a cheap DAW software and you can even run effects through your laptop if your small mixer has a USB interface.

The Soundcraft Notepad series would handle that for you.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I have the Yamaha THR10 - I got it (and love it) for recording guitar, it's fine for low volume bass duties practicing by myself, especially with the stereo aux input. It's nowhere near loud enough basswise to be heard over anything besides an acoustic guitar.

4. The THR-10 has 10w into two 3-inch (well, 3.15") speakers, can be run off 8 AA batteries and weighs about 6.2 pounds (without batteries). It is marketed as a guitar amp. Unless you need something that is extremely light in weight, runs off batteries or want to run your bass through simulated guitar cabs and amps this is likely not going to meet your needs. For that money ($300) you could get a new Fender Rumble 100 with 100w into a 12-inch driver in a ported cab. The difference between the two is night and day, and not in the Yamaha's favor. Yet, the Fender is very light (about 23 pounds), and could be used for small, low volume gigs that would bury the Yamaha. And the Fender has real bass tone. Something to consider...

BadExample likes this.
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    The THR10 has a bass amp model that sounds great for recording and very good through the speakers at low volumes.
    Guitar amp/cab models are also cool for distorted bass sounds, especially since the THR10 sends both an effected and a dry DI signal (stereo) through USB.

Again, the THR10 a great bedroom amp for recording & woodshedding if you also play guitar but is by no means a gigging/jamming amp.

6. Skip these. Get a real bass amp. Look at the Fender Bronco in the same price range, a FAR better option for what you're asking.

Bronco | Fender Bass Amplifiers

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    AstroSonic likes this.
  7. To the OP: If you are just getting started playing bass, just skip all the modeling stuff and concentrate on learning to play. That stuff is just a distraction, and there is so much to learn. Also, if your budget is limited, every dollar you spend on models is money not spent on things that contribute to good tone and usable volume. Consider that if the combo amp is unable to produce good bass tone to begin with, how will it be able to produce the tone of legendary head/cab combinations? OTOH, be sure to have fun. If you enjoy the modeling stuff then have at it! It may get you playing more, which is always a good thing.

8. AmyM

AmyM

Nov 23, 2017
    Thanks everyone for your input! I'll take some time to consider my options