1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the Yamaha TRB1006 basically the Patitucci bass without the name?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Libersolis, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I have wanted one of his basses for so long, but the price was a bit more than I was willing to spend, especially since "signature models" are often nothing more than a standard bass with someones name on it. I am very interested in picking up this bass, but can someone tell me how it compares to the more expensive Patitucci model?

2. With the Patitucci you gain layers of alder, ash and figured maple in the body as opposed to a primarily alder w/ a maple top on the 1006, Ebony to Rosewood fingerboards, Mother-of-pearl and abalone inlays vs. stock "lesser" MOP inlays, 2 frets, and a completely different pickup and electronics package.

I've played the 1006 a large amount - it's an extremely well-made and sounding bass for the price. I've also played the JP2 - there's a reason the cost is much higher, and it's absolutely not because his signature is on it. ;)

3. The TRB6JP-II has 26 frets vs. the TRB1006's 24. Its pickups have a narrower aperture than those of the TRB1006 and thus different frequency response characteristics. The TRB1006 doesn't have the JP's "slap cut" contour on the lower bout. Finally, the TRB1006 has a rosewood board, vs. the TRB6JP-II's ebony one.

The JP is a different bass, with a few more cosmetic features and some small but significant tonal differences.

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The JP also has a wider neck than the 1006.