Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the youth of today missing a few of´em grey cells?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    This story is hilarious!

Four trapped boys take 27 hours to open door
    By Hannah Hennessy

FOUR teenage boys spent 27 hours trapped in a loft, escaping only after realising that all they needed to do was pull the trapdoor rather than push it.
    The boys had gone up to the attic to fetch food and alcohol for a party they were planning while the mother of one of them was on holiday.

Their guests arrived at the door, but left when there was no answer, having failed to hear the trapped teenagers’ cries for help. Fortunately they had their supplies of crisps, sausage rolls and beer to keep them going as they waited.

Their ordeal ended when one of the 17-year-old boys discovered that they had been trying to open the hatch the wrong way.

Ali Wood, of Gillingham, Kent, had taken advantage of the fact that his mother and her boyfriend were on holiday to throw a party. “We went up to get the food and drink from our loft after we had stashed it there because we didn’t want our parents to find out,” he said. It was then that he shut the hatch, imprisoning him with his student friends, Stephen Lloyd, Josh Nice and Dan Griffin.

The insulation in the loft meant that a mobile phone belonging to one of them could not get a signal, so they were unable to ring for help. Ali’s mother was not due home until four days after the planned party.

“We were laughing at the start, but then we realised the hatch wouldn’t open,” Stephen said. “The worst part was we could hear our friends outside, but we couldn’t do anything about it. All we had was snacks and drinks to last us all that time.”

Ali said: “Eventually our fears turned to panic. We literally had to calm ourselves down. We talked a lot and managed to sleep for a while. When Stephen opened the hatch, we were in hysterics. We couldn’t believe we had been stuck there so long when we could have been out in five minutes.

“I think our parents thought we had learnt our lesson. We were all just glad to be out.”

His mother, Christine, said: “I didn’t want them to have a party. But I thought it was funny when I realised what had happened.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-2-382839,00.html

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes. The youth ARE getting thicker.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the real question is "do the youth of today have any grey cells whatsoever?"

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    huh?

5. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    huh?

6. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    huh?;)

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's bad, yes, but it could be worse. Those kids could still be up there!

8. me lose brain? uh-oh!

ahahahahahahaha

...why i laugh?

9. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    me? fail english? thats unpossible...

10. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    bwhahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

some kids...:rolleyes:

11. Oh my... does anyone else that belong to today's youth think this is extremely disturbing?

12. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Not really, I know a ton of really smart kids, with the no common sense what so ever...do you have a lot of 14 year old pot heads in colorado? I know we do in Illinois, there are gonna be somany burnouts...it's a shame really.

13. Actually now that I think about it, you're quite right. Take a good friend of mine for example (well...not really good, he pisses me off alot), he's a pretty booksmart guy (and makes sure everyone else knows it too), but when it comes to "street smarts", he knows nothing. :D

14. i had a friend try to put a CD-ROM into the disk drive... i seriously think that we need a new Computer Teacher that isn't on the brink of retirement

15. And to think all this time.... I thought brains were pink.:rolleyes:

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ...and I blame Nu-Metal, MTV, Pot and the President!

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Yep... a tame to palid pink:
    [​IMG]

but he says "grey cells" as in "Grey Matter"

18. Medulla Oblongata!

:rolleyes: Those kids are morons. It would have been a funnier story if they were to starve to death up there.

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Isn't this a kind of age-ism? :D Just like saying all black people are funky, all Americans outside NYC are gunhugging hillbillies with pickup trucks, all Swedish girls are beautiful, etc. There are many stupid people in this world (too many), but I think they're evenly spread over the ages. The thing is that a stupid 80-year old has probably encountered a similar situation before and has learned from the experience - he's still as stupid, only a tad wiser. ;)

EDIT: zpelingg

20. LMAO! :p That made my day.