Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is the Zvex Woolly Mammoth worth the price?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Hi.

I've been looking at the Zvex Woolly Mammoth for a while now. Im just wondering if its worth the price tag.

I have a DOD 250 which is perfect for the band situation. But for solo stuff and for really thick, deep over the top fuzz I'm looking for something new.

If you have played one of these pedals, please give a review, and if you don't think its worth it please give an alternative pedal if you know of one.

Thanks

2. It's worth the price if you want that tone. I love that pedal, and want one for sure someday, but the thing is really extreme and IMO, doesn't always fit the role that a smoother distortion would fare better at in a song context. Do I think the Wooly is worth it? Yes. But...

not that the ZVex isn't useful, just to me it's not overly musical. I love the ungodly amount of fuzz and low end you can coax out of it, but it at times is just to hard to reign in. A little tweak does a whole lot, and you can spend alot of time finding a tone you like that doesn't make some odd burp or whatever. As for what to compare it to, I just don't think you can. He obviously had a goalset when he designed it. Sure other pedals can do heavy squishy distortion like this, but cannot offer the low-end.

Other pedals that do the "trick" at a lower price:

BOSS Heavy Metal (for real chug chug type high-harmonic fuzz)
    Ibanez Phat Hed (for surprisingly decent compressy fuzz)
    Bass ProCo rat (forget the name) for harsh raspy square-wave dist.

these all do "over the top" distortion, on the cheap mind you, but vary in sound quality. I have a Phat Hed, and it leans more on the overdrive side, but can get pretty natty too. I have some custom tube screamer clones and Big Muff clones that are just sick.

Some more boutique brands like D*A*M and Big Bear and the like
    offer some other rather cool tones, but are also up there in price...

Sorry to ramble on, I just love bass fuzz.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    as mon said, it is a very very sensitive pedal. i cant stress enough how sensitive it is. the tiniest littel movement of a knob makes a HUGE difference. me personally i dont like the built in gate, so i always roll it off. i think its a wonderful pedal. great fuzz tone and lots of low end. also again, it doesnt fit in every setting. and im sure if it were used to much it could really becoming annoying. but i love it. to me it was worth it.

and something most will tell you is that you cant use active basses with it. wrong. i use active basses with it just fine. i use passive basses with it just fine. just dont crank all the knobs on the pedal and youll be fine.

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    That site is really cool. After playing with that I wonder how a EH Hot Tubes pedal would sound on bass...

5. Thanks for the help.

Just wondering about the size of this thing, Zvex effects all seem to be tiny, anyone got the measurements?

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    roughly the size of an mxr pedal.

7. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I scored one pretty cheap used (£100) about 6 months ago as I love extreme distortion/fuzz. However, I soon sold it as i felt that it just is not 'in your face' enough - sounded great on some settings and I spent a good while tweaking etc, but it was not worth the money to me.

Swapped it back with the RAT pedal it replaced.