is the.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the_majik_bum, Apr 7, 2002.

1. the_majik_bum

Jan 27, 2002
    Is the Boss DS-1 Distortion effect pedal any good? or should i just go with the Boss ODB-3 Bass OverDrive?
  2. I played on a ODB-3 in store once, trying it with several basses, changing bass settings, changing amp settings, changing pedal settings. I wanted this pedal to be good, but unfortunately, it isn't. However, I did have a lot of fun with the Boss Bass Chorus amp. (off topic, however)
  3. I have to agree with INGL, don't buy either if you can afford better effects, save up for either the SWR IOD, Sans Amp BDDI or full tone bassdrive... :rolleyes:

Since not everyone can afford really great effects, I'de say you'de be better of buying the ODB-3 rather then the DS-1.
  4. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    I'll once again stand up and be counted for the ODB-3. Teeok me a while to find out the best settings but I really Drive mine with a passive single coil and I love the sound it gives me. Dirt! Never tried a fulltone BD or the like and would like to but the ODB-3 is a gem on my pedalboard. Depends entirely on the sound you're after though.

The end.
  5. I used to have an ODB-3 for over a year.. i think the definition is false.. it's not really an overdrive.. it's more fuzz/distortion like...

Now i've got a Hughes&kettner Tube-factor, which has the warmest and cleanest overdrive imaginable.

For you american blokes.. it's a tad expensive.. but worth every penny.
  6. I also own the odb3,and I like it...true! it is NOT IS flat out disto\fuzz that has a lot of saturation...if you play industrial\tecno\death?? or just want an extreme dist\fuzz,and don't want to go broke?get it...I would'nt get the other one you sucks out too much low end and is thin sounding(meant for guitar...the whiney,whimpy sounding thing that it is)..I would look elsewhere for a "overdrive" type the ones metioned.
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    try out a proco rat.

they go at nearly the same price as a boss odb3.

is the rat as big as a tone-sucker? cuz the boss pedal sure is!
  8. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    I have to profess that I'm not exactly sure of the overdrive/fuzz/distortion "definitions". Can anyone enlighten me with an idea of the difference in sound (I've pretty much got fuzz down, Fzzzzzz!!!) or point me in the direction of a thread where this is allready covered.

Many thanks,
    yours sincerely, Idiot. :confused:
  9. Distortion is dirty, and really harsh

Overdrive is really warm, with a little dirt

from cleanest to dirtiest