Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is their any truth to these quality issues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Considering it's Ed Roman, I would guess the answer is "No." It seems like he's just trying to advertise his own brand of guitars.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Ed Roman is an idiot.

I've had a pile of G&L basses and each and every one of them was a really nice bass. They've certainly got a more loyal following than his "custom" instruments....read some of the reviews. It's pretty apparent that he's got a really sour-grapes attitude against G&L for some other reason...probably because they didn't want a moron like him for a dealer.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That particular rant makes no sense. He doesn't like the way they route or use their own neck design, because it doesnt suit a custom guitar he is trying to manufacture from their parts and so he gets angry with them?

How about trying to do some research first Ed you spanner!

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I am no expert on g and l 's but it sounds like sour grapes.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    This article is, quite simply, BS of the highest level. G&L's are fine instruments, with incredibly solid and well-detailed construction -- not to mention a monster tone.

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's BS. Ed Roman is irratating. I've read a few of his rants and some of them are so full of BS it makes me laugh and some of them just piss me off. Even the low cost Tribute G&L's are great instruments, my friend has one and I tried a nice (non tribute) ASAT in a store and it was a great bass, not my style but definatly a fine instrument.

8. In one long-winded BS fest, he simultaneously publishes a libel about G&L's and calls Boston of all places a no-money town? Please...

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey, you want to hear a rant? Ask him about Lakland basses. Or just read about them on his site.

10. He seems to slam any brand he doesn't sell. I spoke to him on the phone once and he referred to Ampeg as 'Crampeg', because he says their amps were junk being built in the Crate factory. :meh:

I don't play ampeg anymore, but never thought they were junk. I'd say neither do the countless pros who use them.

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm still perplexed beyond belief as to how this guy stays in business....

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What the hell?

He won't sell them because their neck isn't interchangable with a Fender neck (a completely different company) and they're using a swimming pool rout that is 1) covered up 2) used by other companies? He even admits he only *assumed* that the necks were interchangable.

Because of this he won't reccomend anyone a G&L guitar?

That's bad, even by Ed's standards.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Are you joking? He thinks G&L are crap because *he didn't know* their necks might not fit a Fender? His ignorance is their fault? And the whole swimming poool route thing is exceedingly dubious as well.

This is somebody who doesn't know a fraction of what he thinks he does. Be skeptical of anything you hear from him. He's not always wrong--but then, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    So it all boils down to the fact that he couldn't put a G&L neck on a "throwaway" Fender rig, that the ground wire was disconnected on one instrument, and that the wires weren't all tied together in the elex cavity. Wow. I'd say that guy needs a serious reality check.

15. MAJOR METAL

The part the sticks out for me is how the electronics are wired up?, is G&L putting them out to fast?.

16. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    He seems to have a huge problem with CNC routing. Just because human hands didn't rout the body doesn't mean the guitar is crap. It's the quality of materials and attention to detail that counts not how the body was routed. Hand routed or CNC milled, it doesn't matter, each has it's own pros and cons.

17. MAJOR METAL

Isint his house bass/guitar line all cnc made?.

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I can't see that he says *anything at all* about how the electronics are wired up. Not sure what you're concerned about.

19. MAJOR METAL

Actually it was one of the testimonals i read this part in.

20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    ER also seems to think the USA Laklands are just bolted together from out of house parts and sold for 3K with some minor setup. Nowhere near the truth. Ironically, he mentions doing "research" but apparently hasn't done much of any himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.