Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is their anything Punk about Pop Punk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 4, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard of the genre of music called Pop Punk and i was watching some tv last night and on Hard Rock live the band entittled " Good Charlotte" was perfroming and between songs they had interviews with the band and they refered to their love of punk rock and playing it and it got me thinking is their anything Punk about Pop Punk. What say you?.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope, besides the jumping around and screaming... but real punk was rebellious, the stuff we have now is just garbage.

3. what he said.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's easy to play, so you can total rage against learning your instrument.

5. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Yes:
    1) Three chords
    2) Their parents HATE it!

That's where any similarities end............

Both jenres center around youth angst. Old Punk screamed and spit and gave the world the Big Finger. New Punk (Punk Pop) jumps and whines and puts on eye liner............These kids seem more like Duran Duran's redheaded stepchildren than Sid Vicious or Henry Rollins.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    At least Duran Duran could play!

Pop punk?? That's an oxymoron.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    pop-punk isn't punk. It's pop.

Punk means "f*ck you, f*ck the system, f*ck off and die." And that rocked. Dead Kennedys, the Exploited, Sex Pistols, it was all very awesome.

Some pop punk is good music. I'm partial to Blink 182 now, since I've learned to get off my musical high-horse and appreciate something that's rockin' and tounge-in-cheek (most of the time).

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ask Mike Money. The authority on all things punk.

9. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Okay, so we'll clear some things up:
    Everything referred to as pop-punk will now be referred to as power
    pop. This includes you Good Charlottes, Green Days, Blink 182s, Simple Plans, New Found Glorys...all of that.

There, now pop-punk doesn't exist.

Not too many good punk bands kicking around now...a lot of them are broken up (including my 3 current faves, Belvedere (RIP May 23, 2005), Sommerset (2005), Face to Face (2003).

Rise Against, Strung Out...Pennywise too. Strike Anywhere, Bouncing Souls, Dropkick Murpheys. Still a few cool ones kickin about. (no NOFX or Bad Religion on the list because they suck now. NOFX jumped on the polical bandwagon, and BR just gave up being angry.)

10. there's only a few "pop-punk" bands that i can stand listening to. i like blink-182, old green day (not their new attempt at selling politics), and the ataris (semi-pop-punk, they've started getting a lot more popular lately). i can't stand most of this pop-punk stuff though like good charlotte, simple plan, etc. i like older, real punk, alot more though, bands like social distortion, ramones, sex pistols, the vandals, pennywise, afi (from answer that and stay fashionable era), etc. i guess you catch my drift. i will admit that there are similarities, but regular punk is much more raw and in-your-face. punk to begin with was about picking up an instrument, even if you could barely play, and just rocking out for the sake of rocking out. it seems like punk now is about seeing how much eye-makeup you can stick on your face before you start to look like KISS (no offense intended to KISS).

11. MAWBassist

MAWBassist

Jul 18, 2005
    Maryland
    Pop Punk is nothing but a bunch of rich snot nosed kids going "hey I'm bored want to make a band?". Theres no love for the music its all about the money and the fame. I ccan't stand bands who only think about getting big and being on mtv to give stupid shout outs to their friends. Record labels give these kids money so they can make money off little teenie bopper girls who think they're punk with the help of stores like hot topic. Real punk was a statement not a trend. It was about being an individual and making some good music in the end. Wanting just to be heard by people you knew and playing on stages that could be a foot off the ground. Pop punk is crap.

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Good Charlotte disqualifies themselves from being true punk by having their faces appear next to Hilary Duff's and Ashlee Simpson's in every brightly-colored teeniebopper magazine on the newsstand.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

This is true.

14. Pop-punk is rubbish. Emo is even worse. :cool:

15. go mikey, go mikey, hes the punkest, go mikey

16. I only like the angry punks. Not the Punks who wanna sing about their skateboards, parents, and crying about a girl breaking their hearts. I want punks who sing about Injustice, politics, murder, death, Im a Clash/Black Flag Fan :D

17. Yeah, I like my music to include violent sex crimes, too. :rolleyes:

Mike

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm not much on modern punk, but Authority Zero have enough substance in their music to keep me interested.

Fishbone also has it's punk moments and I dig them.

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You mean there is a difference? I just figured they were the same genre, CrapSuck. ;)

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    good charlotte disqualified themselves from being considered punk when they started making music