1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is there a 5-string Fender J bridge cover "ashtray"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongomania, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Google and Ebay searches didn't turn up an answer for me... is there a Jazz bridge cover which will fit a 5-string MIA Fender?

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    The answer is no as far as Fender is concerned. The beloved slabs of chrome were
    on their beloved 4 string P and J basses until 1980 as a standard feature. I'm pretty
    sure that no Fender 5 string J-Bass ever came with a bridge cover as by the time Fender
    got around to building a modern 5 string J-Bass the chrome covers were reserved for
    their vintage spec reissue series of basses which by default are all 4-stringers.

In 1965 Fender did make a strange short scale 5 string bass with a high 'C' string and
    not a low B. It had a mini split single coil pickup ala P-Bass style and it had a chrome
    cover for the bridge but nothing that would fit a modern 5 string J-Bass.

I don't know if you can find a custom after market parts maker who could make you
    one or if some might even exsist. I wish I could point you to finding one but it seems
    such a thing doesn't exsist as of yet. I wish you luck.

3. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'd be all over one if someone made them.

At least now I know that I'm not the only one interested. :(

4. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    This question comes up every so often. Every time, the answer has been "no".

5. I posted a few weeks ago looking for one to go over a first-gen BA bridge; someone posted a link to an accesory shop who claimed they would respond to my email w/in 48 hours. Two emails & several weeks later, I'm still wondering. :meh:
    This thread makes me wonder about a cover for my Jazz 5.

6. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    There have been reports of certain Precision bridge covers that will fit a fiver, but I've yet to hear of a Jazz cover that fits the bill. I don't believe such an animal exists, unfortunately.

7. I could have been a bit more specific(although I don't believe there are any of these being mass-produced). I'd like a bridge cover to fit over an old BA bridge on a 4-string Precision, & both PU & bridge covers for a 5-string Jazz(w/stock bridge). All chrome. :)

8. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Marcus Miller PU cover will work on a fiver – see here:

A standard Precision cover should fit over a Badass 1 (one), but I doubt it would cover a Badass II (two).

9. I'll try a stocker for my P, but the link took me to the same place that did not answer my emails. What's more, I did not see a cover described as for a Marcus Miller, or for a 5; would it be the same as for a 4? I appreciate your efforts & hope I don't sound like I'm complaining here. :)

10. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah – at least from what I hear on TalkBass, they don't have a real good reputation for responding to emails. That said, I've ordered from them a number of times, and every order went off without a hitch.

No, it should be the one specifically made for the Marcus fiver. You don't see this when you click on my link? I just clicked it, and took this screenshot:

[​IMG]

11. Didn't see it; do now. I'm not a clever man. :rolleyes: Thank you. :D

12. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're welcome. :)

13. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    I believe that the OP is seaching for the bridge cover, not the front pu cover!

14. Understood; I just figured my comments/questions were germaine to the thread. Please feel free to ignore my input.
    Except this---> :)

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's relevant enough, and appreciated as such. ;) Man, even if I found a shop that could cut, stamp, and chrome-plate the metal for such a bridge cover, it would either be a very expensive one-off or an even more expensive bulk run where I'd end up with a hundred of them to sell off.

16. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    I'd never ignore your input. And yes, good point about contributing to the thread.
    I was just trying to steer it back to the OP's intention ( i hope):smug:

17. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Zombie thread, I know, but is this still true? I'm looking for a five-string Jazz bridge cover for my project 1960 Fender Jazz 5-String.

Jazzfretless likes this.