Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a Bag End cabinet near Tucson?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arizonabass, May 21, 2002.

1. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Before I buy anything, I sure would love to first hear a Bag End cabinet, ideally an S15-D. But there are no dealers within 500 miles of Tucson. Isn't there anyone around here who owns one? Phoenix, anyone??:mad:

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
  3. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks, but no ceegar. The Bass Place doesn't stock them. The store owner claims "lack of interest" in them. :(

4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I used to own two. Do you play 5 string?

5. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    No, 4-string passive Jazz. You already told me you didn't care for your Bag Ends. I wrote you that I did try the SWR Goliath Jr. III and was quite impressed.... but I still want to try out Bag End and get the whole thing settled in my mind. :confused:

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bump...

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Arizonbass, too bad that you don't live closer to Portland. I'd be more than happy to let you play through my cabs.

I have two 2x10 cab and an S15X-D. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go ahead and pick up another D12-D. I did a sound check this weekend and I had to lug my stuff up 2 flights of stairs. I was glad that each cab only weighed around 50 pounds. It would have killed me to schlep a 100 pound cab up and down those stairs.

Just for comparison, I have an Aguilar GS410 which I absolutely love for it's smoothness and clarity. But currently, I use the two 2x10 cabs for both my electric basses and my 2X bass. They are much easier to lug around than the 4x10.

IMHO, there is no comparison in tone or reliability between the Bag End cabs and the SWR. Bag End's customer service is one of the best that I've dealt with.

8. azbass

azbass

Mar 23, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Jerry, since you say there is no comparison in tone between Bag End and SWR, have you compared your Bag Ends to the two SWR's I'm considering? I have tested the 2x10 Goliath Jr. III and the 1-15 Son of Bertha. I liked them both, but would kick myself if I bought one of those two and found out later I'd have much preferred the Bag End. :confused:

arizonabass = azbass

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've never done a side-by-side of the two brands but have done such with the Eden and SWR. The SWR just was not my choice of tone. This is all VERY subjective. I have an old Goliath II which is a great cab but I've never really found the newer SWR cabs to my liking.

If you have found that you really like the tone of the Goliath Jr. and the Big Bertha then that's probably the way you should go. The Bag End is going to be different, for sure. The Bag's are like a mid-point between an Aguilar (old school) and Epifani (modern/accurate). My hands down favorite cabs are Bergantino which seems to fit in this same place as the Bag Ends but the Berg's are much smoother and clearer. But they are also much more expensive and bigger in size, overall.

The guys at Bass Northwest all use Bag End 15's and such sell more Bag End cabs than any of the others. They are a dealer for most all the brands but the Bag Ends are the ones they use. But it really boils down to what you like. Several folks here have tried the Bag Ends and not cared for them. So your mileage may vary.

10. azbass

azbass

Mar 23, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks, Jerry. It's not that I *really* like the SWR cabinets -- it's that they are the best I've tried so far. HOWEVER -- that may be because of the amp: an Eden WT-300. It could also be due to this particular dealer's room acoustics. This dealer, to whom I'm now paying the most attention, has Bergantino, so I can try one of those, too, for comparison. They are also getting Aguilar, so I will be able to do a number of comparisons of almost all cabinets in which I'm interested.

If I'm not thrilled with any of these cabinets, what it may come down to is getting a Bag End from Bass NW, as long as they have a 100% return policy.

11. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Last I heard BassNW had a 72 hour return policy. But you are out the shipping twice.

12. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Hey, Az -

I bought 2 Aguilar 1x12's and have a Bag End S15X-D (which I am looking to sell!). To my ears, the Aggies have more bottom end and a little less midrange honk - I do prefer the Aggies (obviously, since I am looking to move the Bag End).

To be fair, the Bag End is a *great* cab, particularly when paired with another cab with a little more low end oomph. It cuts through the mix very well. I used it together with an Acme Low-B 2x10 for a while with great results, but decided to go with the more portable arrangement of the 1x12's.

greg

13. azbass

azbass

Mar 23, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Greg, thanks for the tip. What I'm wondering is -- are you comparing one S15-X-D with two GS112's or with one GS112? I have read here several times how impressed folks are with two GS112's, so.... ?

BTW, informed sources tell me there is a way to get a Bag End cabinet down here, to a Bag End registered dealer, for me to demo. I may finally get to play through one of these things yet!

Howard

14. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Howard, I just have one Aggie right now (second one comes tomorrow). So my opinions are formed on the basis of comparing one of each cab.

greg