Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a bass doctor in the house?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scuzzy666, Jan 22, 2001.

1. The neck on my Johnson Jazz Bass (no jokes please) is beginning to bow slightly and adjusting the truss rod isn't helping. I'm an ex-guitar player and I'm relatively new to bass and I'm not sure what to do. Is there a place where I can get it repaired? Is it even able to be repaired? It was a $425 dollar base so I would not enjoy having to turn it into firewood. PLEASE offer me some help. I'd be much obliged.

Plus, if anyone has tabs to "Funky Fresh Country Club" by Ugly Kid Joe, send 'em on over. Thanks.

2. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    ummm is there a guitar store nearby?
    i just fixed the neck on one of my nameless basses....it was cracked!! and we reglued it so it if does crack...yo may be able to revive it
    (use hypodermic needle to inject glue and clamp with vise)

3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Many repair shops have a "neck press" to heat the neck and clamp it into the proper curve (with truss rod lose.) Sounds like you need to have this done.

Steve

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The neck press may be what this bass needs. It could also be a stripped truss rod or compressed wood at the end of the rod that is not allowing the rod to do it's job. It may be worth your while to remove the truss rod adjusting nut and place a few washers between the adjusting nut and wood to allow more purchase. If you're not comfortable doing this, then by all means, shag your a$$ down to the nearest music store...

-robert

5. What they said!