1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is there a bass pedal that....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dawkinzz, May 12, 2006.

1. is there a bass pedal that makes it sound as though i have 2 basses playing? (or the illusion so to speak of 2 basses playing)?

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    short delay.
    light chorus.
    an octaver... it'll make it sound like there's two people playing PERFECTLY in sync... but in octaves.
    :bassist:

3. what having all 3 of them togeter?
    if you mean just one of them, i have the bass chorus, ceb-3 ....could you post some settings for me please?

4. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i meant one at a time... but i think slight chorus going into a short delay would be a nice doubling effect.
    chorus is meant to sound like more than one person playing at the same time (which is why it's called a "chorus" effect). the deeper the chorus is, the more "instruments" are playing in unison.
    i hope this helps...

5. ah so up the depth on the chorus? and maybe a middle rate?

6. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    sounds about right...

it's tough to achieve a perfect synthesis of what you're talking about... there's alot of interesting stuff that happens when two people play the same line together. (like some notes are slightly out of tune, others aren't hit together at EXACTLY the same time, some are louder than the others... etc.....)
    it would be complicated to do all that with just one player... you'd have to be constantly tap-dancing... turning delays and choruses and octavers and compressors on and off over and over again seemingly randomly.....
    it would be more like... performance art!

7. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i'd say do the best you can with the ceb3!

it's a great pedal.

8. cheers for the help man :)

9. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    yeah. :)

10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    If you're trying to get it to sound like two basses at once... I'd split the signal, have one part go through an EQ and the other go through a Boss DD-6 or a chorus. It depends how elaborate you want to get, but by having the two signals be at different EQs, you can take up more sonic space than with just one and not step on your own feet or get overly muddy.

11. Well theres an effect in my Digitech BP200 called "Detune", what it does it that it takes the bass signal, makes it sliiightly out of tune, and plays it with the signal, to give the illusion that there are 2 basses playing.

12. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    i would like to know this too, sounds cool. what would be the best way then?

13. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Anyone? Wich one of these ways would be the best? While not being to expensive?

14. i wud agree with the chorus.....however on one setting it sounds like a phaser :s

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I use the vibrato of my Korg AX-1B with very short depth and slowest rate.

16. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Perhaps an Akai Unibass (though the effect is supposed to sound more like a guitar) or a harmonizing pedal such as the Boss HR-2.

17. i would suggest the Rocktron IntelleFX online...its a rack effect, but one of the best choruses for your purpose imo...
    it has an 8 voice chorus and you can control the pitch and delay of each voice, so you can really get it to sound like a smooth chorus that you are used to hearing or you can get some really crazy sweeps coming out of that box :)