1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a bass you swore you'd never own,

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by okc-zee, Jan 21, 2012.

1. and now have and love to play ?....For me it would be my v62 Hofner 500/1 and any Squier...I now own a CV 60's P and a VM TB bass...Years ago I swore I'd never own a Squier...:scowl:

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    I never really liked Jazz basses until I had the opprtunity to buy my ESP. Almost twenty years later and it's still the most special bass I've ever owned...

[​IMG]

3. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.

That is badass!!!! I had a fretless/seafoam green Esp in the '80s. Great bass, wish I still had it.

I swore I'd never buy another Rick...well, guess what...I bought another 4003 from the TB classifieds about 2 months ago and can't put it down.:bassist:

T

4. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Way back when I swore I'd never own natural-finish basses... 5 Warwicks and a slew of other natural basses later, the only finishes I'll own are natural/matte :)

5. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Yup. Eating crow over at my place, too.

Growing up, I worshipped P-Basses, and swore I'd never have a Jazz; I used to despise junky entry-level instruments like the Bronco and Mustang (that went double for Squier); and after repeated attempts to learn how to play fretless in tune, I swore I'd never have another one in the house.

I guess that makes my Squier VM fretless Jazz a triple-play.

6. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I was dedicated stingray guy after falling in love with them at the Nashville NAMM in 1995. It was '98 before I could afford my first one and I bought another one (HH this time) in '07. I thought I'd be a MM guy for life. Then on a whim I bought an '08 Geddy Lee new for 799. It took a bit of setup to get it to play, but after that I was hooked on Fender. I had never thought badly about Fender, I just thought they weren't for me, and that I needed the hotter output of a humbucker with active electronics. Boy was I wrong. All three of my fenders are really high output (i added an '09 Highway one p and a '11 '70s p) the highway one which now has the '70s p neck on it is my main bass and I don't ever see myself playing anything other than Fender anymore (other than perhaps for recording or noodling-- i may get a rondo fretless one day...) Here's the Fender stable that I never thought I'd own:

Attached Files:

7. im not into alot of bells and whistles normally. passive pups, bolt on necks, chrome hardware, single color bodies...fender type stuff (wheather it be fender or not)

...i just recently bought a peavey cirrus. neck-thru, active pups/electronics, flamed maple top, string-thru, matte GOLD hardware (thats probably the thing that surprised me the most, gold...really?!). its literally everything i DONT normally look for.

but damn if it hasnt over taken my fender jazz for top spot! it just plays and sounds so AWESOME.

8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Believe it or not, a precision. My first bass was a '66, and I pretty much hated it cause of the 1 3/4 nut and the fact it didn't get enough bottom. Crappy amp actually but what did I know back then ?
    Fast forward a few decades, gotta have a P ( with jazz neck ) in the stable, it just fits with an ahhhh.

9. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    Forgive me Father.... Anything Lakland. I just didn't get it. Everyone cultishly raving of what I perceived as just another Fender clone. Hell, the imports made even less sense to me. But, as of next Weds I will own two Korean DJ5's, replacing my Spector Euro5 and my Modulus Q5. And, they will be my only two basses. Go figure. I can't explain it... that's just some krazy Kool Aid I guess.

10. Getting rid of a Modulus is a seriously bone head move that you will forever regret.
    No offense intended.

11. When I was younger I absolutely hated Warwicks, in particular the Thumb. I loved me a bit of metal at the time and it seemed like every time a band started getting a bit of success they mysteriously started playing Warwicks.
    These days, I really want a Thumb!

12. Fender and Warwick basses were originally on my "NEVER TO BUY" list. I'm now GASing a Warwick Corvette something fierce and have been noodling on my friend's Fender Jazz for weeks on end. Never thought I'd fall for single coil basses.

On a side note, I also told myself I wouldn't use/need effect pedals. I now have a small collection which is getting gradually bigger.

13. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    And certainly none taken. I totally get you implication. It's actually the third that I have owned and subsequently sold and I know there will always be another out there should I want to yet again return. Variety is the spice. That makes me no less of a bonehead, I know, but I try to never get all that attached. It's just stuff. ;)

14. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    An Ibanez, or anything with active electronics.

I just bought this and love it:
    srx1.

15. I have always loved the precision tone, but I never played one that comfortable to me. I owned a bunch of off brand p's, and none of them stuck around...

A few months ago, I scored a 1972 Fender P on Craigslist. All original except the finish and pickguard. Has that p tone that I love, and then some. The neck is the "A" profile, and I find it to be extremely comfortable.

Best $350 I have ever spent. :D

16. A black bass; swore I'd never have a black bass. But now there's one on the way - Geddy Lee. Will post a pic when it arrives.

17. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    A Bongo. They look so weird and are so damned expensive. Promised myself I'd never own one.

Then, recently I played one for sh!ts & giggles. Wow. I loved it. Just felt right and was super playable.

Still dont OWN one, tho, but have an angle on trading for the one I played.:bassist:

18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    DanelectroLonghornBass.

I really want one...

19. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    I was checking out Linc Luthiers site a few years back, and ugh.....those things are for real? ....what kinda hippy Californian nut job is that...the home-brewn-html-anno-1998-quality of the site didn't help either...

Now my Linc fretless is the 95% Playing Time Bass.

20. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    But really' the bass I swear every time i'll never own is my next bass, when i tell my wife "this is the last one I get...really honey".:)