Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is There A Best Fretless Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ...Again, another fretless thread from moi, how annoying, I know...

Anyways, I was just wandering what all you think is the "best" fretless bass for a beginner, intermediate, and highly skilled bassist.

I know the best way to find out what's best for me is to just play around, but I'd like to hear what everyone has to say about the matter, and form a general concensus about what is crap and should stay away from, ala Rogue, and what is the king's crown and should play as much as possible, ala 'Vette 'Wick. :)D)

Anxious to hear all of your comments/theories/suggestions,
    ~Ryan

2. The best fretless bass is the one you like the most. It isn't even easy to choose one for yourself - I know that I enjoy a fretless P bass with flats for a fat thump, but I also like a mwah-full fretless J sound. Sometimes I like the glassy highs and sometimes I like a passive, low and bassy sound.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There are hundreds of them. I assume you'll hear about most of them soon. Let me start. Pedulla BuzzBass, Zon.

4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I've just ordered a dean edge fretless =)

People told me it's a good bass. :bassist:

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    There are as many best fretless basses as there are best fretted ones.

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I played a Pedulla that was awesome. It was the best fretless I've played so far.

7. YES - the origonal bass....everything else is an immitation of some kind :D [​IMG]

8. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    ZON!

9. i knew id see ZON on here, i didnt expect anyone to much of a smart ass and post a double bass, but the humor is noticed and appreciated on my end! :D :D :D

How about cheaper, more "mid-ranged" basses, for the intermediate player???

(mid range, i consider is 600-800 US dollars)

Awaiting Answers,
    ~Ryan

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I have a 5-string fretless bass made by a local luthier and it's very good, but after playing my new fretted 5-string EBMM Bongo, my goal for next year is a desert gold 5-string fretless Bongo with two humbuckers and piezo bridge (black pearloid pickguard). My new Bongo, which arrived 12 days ago and also has two humbuckers and piezo bridge, costed US$1450 plus shipping. IMO, it's not expensive for such a GREAT instrument.

11. I had one- great playability, excellent tone, but I like wider spacing & want to go 34" scale on all my basses. It's on consignment at BassNorthWest right now. Buy it so I can have Chris Stambaugh sart on a 7 string for me! ;)

12. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I second Munji's comment about Zon...really, it's the epitome of fretless mwah...however, I have found that any fretless-appropriate fingerboard (if there is such a thing), such as pink ivory, ebony, permanbuco, stabilized anything, phenolic, etc which is flawlessly leveled will do the job....but don't forget pickup type, pickup placement, body wood, neck design (neck-through, set neck, bolt on) etc will all contribute greatly to the end result. For what it's worth, I have a bass coming soon from Mark Eshenbaugh with an alder body, maple burl top and back, lined fretless pink ivory board, and Nordstrand dual coils with series/parallel/single coil switching wired up to his own 3 band pre with switchable mids.....should be a deadly bass!
    You may want to snag an MTD Kingston, and have a highly qualified tech dress the board, and you should be slamming for around 550 or so. Budget another 125, and drop in an Aguilar 3 band pre, and look out!!

13. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Ritter jupiter is freakin amazing. So comfortable.

14. CWK

CWK

Jun 9, 2005
    South Centeral Pa.
    Quick answer. No.
    First post.
    There is no "Best" .
    CWK

15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I don't suppose anybody out there likes Fender Jazz-type fretless basses, by any remote chance? Surprised they've only had one very brief mention in this thread... so far.

EDIT Just in case anybody wants to post about theirs? ;)

16. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    The best fretless is one you haven't played yet. That's why you keep looking.

Just like the best beer - it's one I haven't tasted yet. That's why I keep trying them. :D

17. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Some of the ones most widely recognized are Zon, Pedulla, and F Bass.

I myself am looking more at Carvin, both for price reasons and the fact that Bassius' sounds amazing.

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a Jazz fretless that I'm happy with, but from the recordings I've heard, I'd have to say Pino Palladino's pre-EB fretless Ray is the best one ever.

19. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I like my new (to me) fender fretless MIM jazz. Good tone, (especially after a series switch mod), fast neck, tight string spacing... Definitely a player, especially for the $200 I payed for it. :bassist:
    The only thing I don't like about it is the sharp non-rounded edges on the MIM necks, but I'm going to sand that down soon. :D

Would I say it's the best fretless out there? nope. 'cause there is no such thing, it's totally subjective. Personally I like double basses. :hyper:

[​IMG]

20. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Absolutely!

The Variax 700 bass on either 'Jaco' or 'Acoustic' setting ... because you don't have to learn how to play without frets.

Just my $0.02

Attached Files: