Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a better 2x12 than the Avatar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Apr 13, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    I have the 210 with delta's and i use it as a stand alone now, and i want to get another cab with some real bass to it, or to make my new stand alone and put the 2x10 on it when needed.

Besides the you get what you pay for idea, for around $300 or less is there a better 2x12? Is the Dr. Bass cab the same thing but with a different covering? I use a QSC PLX power amp and a RBI with a p bass and i play in a indie/rock n roll band.

If anyone has anything to say about the avatar or any other companies i would love to hear it.

2. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

I like the EarCandy Bass Bomb a lot.

See: www.earcandycabs.com.

They're well built, reasonably compact, HUGE sounding, and come in a variety of styles and colors. When I bought mine I dealt directly with the owner of the company, who hands-on builds these things himself. How cool is that?

Matt

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Used Music Man 2x12 will run $300 to $350. Smokes most cab's in it's path up to several times more money. Seriously under rated. If you can find one, that's your cab ...

4. :cool: I have a Genz-Benz NEOX-212 that is a very fine cabinet. 600W RMS, 65 lbs, front ported, fully adjustable tweeter, built-in castors. Not a cheap unit, however. I've been using mine for over a year and it can handle my GEB-600 and P-Bass with no problems.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    +1 for the Genz-Benz NeoX212T!

6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I too want to get a 2x12 to replace the SWR SOB 1x15 I currently put under my Goli III 4x10. Of course I've never heard this combination so I am only going by what I have read on TB as to the benefits of a 2x12 instead of a 1x15. Leaning to the Avatar mostly cause the price is very attractive (new) but not so much that I would sacrifice sound, so maybe another higher end (used) cab. What might I expect sound wise by this switch? My GBE 600 goes to 2 ohms, could I get the Ava in 4ohm too use as a stand alone but still use it with my 8 ohm 4x10 when necessary? What would that drop the ohms to? How about the efficiency of each of these cabs? How will this effect the amps output? Thanks for any answers.

7. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I own 2 Aguilar GS-212 cabs. Outstanding cabs, but kinda pricey. I'll never need, nor look for, any other 212 cabs...........................I do own two Avatar cabs: B210 and SB112. Great cabs. About to make new crossovers for the tweater, which should make them even better!!! I have used my Avatar 210 with one Aggie 212 with great results. Anyway, my two cents. I can only speak for the Aguilar 212's.