Is there a better power supply for Bassbone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fretlessbass, Oct 15, 2021.

1. fretlessbass

fretlessbass Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I need to purchase a new power supply for a Radial Bassbone: They really don't hold up.

The issue is, of course, that it's 15v DC, 400mA, center pole positive, so you can't run out to Radio Shack...or any music store that I know of--unless you want to buy the same one all over again.

Does anyone make a sturdier power source that's readily available in the USA?

....Maybe something that doesn't have that long, crappy cord???

spatters likes this.
  2. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Have you tried contacting Radial about this?

Aqualung60 and fretlessbass like this.
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Whatever you do, don't skimp on the voltage! My used unit came with a 12V wall wart and there were obvious headroom issues.
    I just bought the 15V Radial power supply and had no issues. A spare sounds like a good idea.
    Oddball power supplies aren't a total deal-killer for me, but they sure aren't a plus, either! (Especially when they are known to wear out.)
    At least in this case, you might be able to go third party. A quick search for "dc adapter 15V" on Amazon got a lot of hits. Hard to say how reliable any of those are...

4. Contact Radial about getting a replacement. Their customer service is spectacular and they really do care. They may ask you to send the old one back to look at. If you're ruining more than one power supply over the time you've owned it, your Bassbone may actually be defective.

They'll make it right.

5. You could pair this with a usb power outlet or battery. It's not cheap, but not brutal and mission stuff is pretty well regarded.

529 M – Mission Engineering

fretlessbass likes this.
  6. fretlessbass

fretlessbass Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I purchased it years ago for a doubling gig
    that never happened; only started to use it regularly recently, for a gig where I go straight into the board.
    I was about to purchase a couple spares
    from Sweetwater; figured I’d check in here first though—-especially after seeing the complaints specifically about Radial’s power supply on Sweetwater’s webpage...oh well, at least the pedal itself is a good product.

7. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    There are pedalboard powers supplies, like the Cioks 8 or the Eventide Max (also by Cioks) that will do 15v.

Michedelic, equill and fretlessbass like this.
  8. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    You don't say which Bassbone you have. I have first version, and there's something odd with the PSU. It says 15 VDC, but it gives almost 20 VDC. I measured it with my Fluke meter. When I made my pedalboard I tried the BB with 15 VDC /1 A PSU and it doesn't work (yes, the polarity was correct).
    I mean it is maybe best to order the original PSU.

fretlessbass likes this.
  9. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Cioks DC 10 has a 15V tap that will run a Bassbone

el murdoque and fretlessbass like this.
  10. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    Have you tried? Which BB version?

fretlessbass likes this.
  11. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Cioks 8 works nicely with my Bassbone OD, but that's probably excessive for a single device.

fretlessbass and okabass like this.
  12. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    RUdPyQP.jpg

13. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I contacted Radial and got a new power supply cord from them.

14. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    The CIOKS is the best replacement I've found, a lot more expensive and overkill if all you use is the one pedal.

I do have a spare Bassbone power supply, bought it so I could leave one connected under my board and then take my Bassbone off to use seperately, later got a smaller board for the bassbone and now have two power supplies that I don't use because I have the CIOKS. They are both red with a long cord. PM me if you would like to buy my spare, would let go cheap.

But other than an expensive CIOKS and the radial supply I don't know of another replacement.

fretlessbass and Andy Marshman like this.
  15. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

Hmm. I have to measure mine then. If it is indeed 20v, then possibly a 19v laptop power supply would work and I have a lot of those. I have a Headway EB2 15v and it works. I think one of my Native Instrument groove controllers also has 15v and they gave me 2 extra ones Those are very nice power supplies. What I hate about the bassbone PSU is how stiff the cable is and it goes wrinkly very fast.

fretlessbass likes this.
  16. I used to use a Bassbone 2 with one of the Truetone isolated power supplies. IIRC plugging it into an 18v outlet on the Truetone was fine.

fretlessbass likes this.
  17. spatters

spatters

Mar 25, 2002
    Sounds like every laptop power supply ever made. Example:
    AC Adapter Charger Power Supply Cord for Toshiba Laptop 15V 5A 75W US | eBay

I don't know what size barrel jack the Bassbone uses: you might have to cut the 6.3mm jack off the laptop supply and splice on the correct size. But a laptop supply can push 50+ watts, so it'll have no trouble powering your pedal!

fretlessbass likes this.
  18. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I ran an original v1 BB and currently have a v2 BB/OD running off a DC10

fretlessbass and okabass like this.
  19. SixtyCycleHum

SixtyCycleHum Suspended

Oct 16, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    FWIW, folks. Donner make surprisingly GOOD stuff for a cheap aftermarket company.

fretlessbass likes this.
  20. MUppet

MUppet

Nov 16, 2004
    fretlessbass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022