1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a Bible?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Engine207, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I really like tinkering with my own basses. I recently did a project with a cheap p-bass where I added a j-pup (with it's own volume pot) and a 3-way switch - kinda like a fretted Tony Franklin.

My birthday is coming up, and my Ol' Girl is asking me which book is best for her budding bass tech. I see that many have recommended Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide (3rd Ed.), and How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great books. I also saw LeVan's Guitar Setup, Maintenance and Repair.

Do these books cover basses well enough, or is there really any appreciable difference between working on basses vs. guitars? Are there any books exclusive to basses...specifically Fenders? If I was going to get just The Bible...which would it be?

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    A good way to learn is to but some cheap basses like SX or Squier, or build parts basses or buy a bass kit from ebay. Make your mistakes on the cheaper basses.

3. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Yup!! ;) But is there a single book (or maybe even two) that discusses the correct way to do things and may bend my learning curve upwards?

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yes, that's why I like Erelewine's "Complete Guitar Repair" better than his "How To Make..."
    (I have both). Much more information specific to basses in it. And, after 30 years of doing set-up, maintenance, and repair, I think this is as close to the best all-in-one source there is.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

John

5. ewimsatt

ewimsatt

Jul 1, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Pickup Maker, Luthier, and Repairman, Wimsatt Instruments
    I highly recommend Erlewine's book too.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Me, three.

It's also interesting and helpful to subscribe to the repair e-newsletters that Erlewine puts out through Stew-mac. A lot of good stuff comes out there.

7. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Yeagh...I accidentally started getting those when I ordered parts for my ProjectTF bass with Jordan. I'm glad, cause I read them every time. Now that we have The Bible out of the way, any other good reference books I should try to get my paws on should the opportunity arise?

8. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    +1

9. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Me, four ...

Erlewine's book is about as close as you'll get to a "bible" under one cover.

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    A few years ago I joined the Guild of American Luthiers, and their quarterly publication is well worth the cost of admission for those who are happiest when learning new things and exposing themselves to new ideas; not much that's specific to electric basses, but lots of very thought-provoking content.

http://www.luth.org/

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020