Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is There A Box Would Let Me Switch Between Basses With A Footswitch?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    THe title's not so clear, so I'll explain. Is there a type of footswitch that I could plug two basses into, and have one out to my amp, and be able to switch which signal gets used? I'm just thinking it would be a quick way to switch basses mid-song without unplugging or having to move to my amp.

2. A/B box, surely. :) :)

3. Arent ab boxes for splitting the signal after the bass?

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    They can switch one input to two outputs or two inputs to one output. The A/B box is what you want.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, like floydbass, I thought an A/B box was only one in/two out. Are there A/B boxes that can adjust for different signal imputs? For example, I usually run my fretless passive and fretted active, so the fretted is naturally louder. Are there A/B boxes with gain or level controls per each imput?

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think Boss owes me money.
    I post this pic at least twice a day.
    You'd figure all bassists in the universe already own one.
    [​IMG]

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I use a cheap passive DOD A/B box. I plug my sixer into one side and my 4 in the other sending the output to the input of my effects board. The only drawback is that you don't know which bass is turned on because there is no status lights. I would rather have it this way because I don't have to put batteries in it. It's not really a problem because when you turn up the volume and you get no sound just step on the switch and there it is.

8. Now those interest me. Is that one of the pedals that can power more pedals, or am I mistaken? If so, how many at what voltage?

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Some A/B boxes are "active", meaning they'll only go one way.

What you want is a "passive" A/B box. That'll do the trick. :)

10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Is that Boss LS-2 active or passive? The Boss site had very little information about it.

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah i have this problem too! I use 3 basses at gigs! My warwick corvettepro-line is passive as is my frettless fender. Those arent a problem because they are the same volume. But when i plug in my usa spector 5 its like a totally diff world. Tell me what the final solution is when you find it please! LOL

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just got one of these. Switching plus much more. So far I like it. I went straight to the board through it at rehearsal last week, and my U5 is the onliest thing that sounds better.

[​IMG]

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Don't know. My guess is, if it's got volume controls, it's probably active.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Apparently you can have an active one that'll take two imputs in to one output signal though (as Munji's works for him), so maybe passive isn't necessary.

16. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I've got the LS-2. I'm *guessing* active means the same thing as powered. In that case, yes, the LS-2 is active. Takes a 9 volt or an adapter. When powered via the adapter you can power other pedals off of the LS-2. A handy little pedal.

17. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

:rolleyes:

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What the heck are the rolling eyes for?

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got two other small Boss pedals I use, along with my GT-6B, so that would be handy. Have you tried toggling imputs between two basses? If so, does it work well?

20. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I know for sure that it will power the two other small boss bepals. I'm not sure if it can power the GT-6B.

Toggling between two basses is why I originally got the pedal. I used it the same way your wanting to use it. I was using a D-tuned 4 string and a standard tuned 5 string. I was having to change basses every few songs. It worked like a charm.

I've also used the LS-2 for running a single bass with one line being an effects line and the other line direct to the pre-amp. It's a very flexible pedal. Not just a one trick pony.

Do a search here on TB and I'm sure you'll find a ton 'o posts about this versatile little pedal.