1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a comprehensive site on the Fender bass history?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Sep 7, 2008.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I see a lot of questions come up regarding when Fender changed X on X model, how the serial number scheme works, etc., and I wonder if somewhere there was a sweet timeline that outlines what models were available in any given year, what year feature changes happened, and super detailed serial number information. When did Fender change to black pickguards? What's the timeline for dots vs. blocks and binding? When did the Fender Power Metal bass (or whatever it was called) come out?

I think that most of that information can be gleaned from various sources, but it would be awesome if there was one site that had it all in a timeline format.

Does such a beast exist? If not it seems like a fun project to compile, and I have webspace just itching to be used. The tough part would be getting the information from reliable sources.

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

There's Fender's own website of course.

Then there's the Vintage Guitar Info website.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Buy a copy of Molinaro & Blacks' The Fender Bass: a History.

4. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products