Is there a decent LPF in pedal form ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by el murdoque, Jan 13, 2015.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The title says it. I'd like to go from an agressive sound to a dubby one with a big booty with the stomp of a foot. Is a HPF the way to go or will an EQ pedal be better ?
    If possible, suggest boutique pedals.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. An Eq pedal would probably work out better.

SteveCS and Fxpmusic like this.
  3. I feel like your looking for a low pass filter. I don't know of any stompable HPFs (that doesn't mean they don't exist).

Veldar likes this.
  4. T2k5

T2k5

Feb 16, 2011
    Kerava, Finland
    Yeah, LPF would be the logical way to do it, so your normal sound is aggressive and the filtered is dubby. There are tons of envelope filters that work for this; my favorite for this specific task is Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe.

HolmeBass and aphexafx like this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You need a Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery if you can find one. That thing is a dub monster and there's nothing out there that does what it does. As you turn the tone knob clockwise, it cuts highs and boosts lows. Fully clockwise is dub city with ZERO highs.

Fairfield Barbershop is also another option. It has two levels of switchable low pass filtering and unlike the BDPG, you can adjust the amount of gain you want. It does not cut mids like the BDPG though.

6. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    You could get an Fdeck HPF3 and put it in its own true bypass loop if you want to be able to turn it off and on.

gregmon79 likes this.
  7. Love my Fdeck HPF-Pre series 3, but sadly there's no footswitch.

8. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    A HPF will not do what you want/think it does.
    In fact, it does the exact opposite.

9. Hmm I missed the "dubby / big booty" part. A High-pass filter allows the high frequencies through, and blocks the lows. So probably not what you're looking for. I only use mine to remove some of the sub-musical lows. In your case I think you want a decent EQ.

SteveCS likes this.
  10. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I also should of read more. I admit I pretty much just looked at the thread title.

11. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing.

Dec 10, 2013
    Denver, Colorado
    Designer - Big Machine Electronics
    IE Xerograph (either version) is a great static LPF in general and especially great for dub tones, I agree.

12. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    OOOPS! My bad! Idiot me was searching for a high pass filter all along and wondering why there is so little to be found for bass.

You got me sold on the BDPG. I want one.

Bubby Brown and SunnBass like this.
  13. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    wut? my barbershop doesnt seem to have any tone controls. is it on the inside? i havent been using it bacause i wanted to lose some of the highs, so its been the micro red dragon for me...

14. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    For 50$ EHX's the Mole is dubbalicous

15. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'm gonna recommend the DOD bifet boost. That pedal can be SERIOUSLY dubby yet still remains clear somehow.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hmm...I have the newest version with the tone switch, maybe they just added that and you have an older one? Switch in the middle is bypass, to the right is cut some high, switch to the left to cut a lot of highs.

[​IMG]

17. Empress ParaEQ

18. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    no switch on mine, and i think i would really be able to use that switch...

19. .
    Believe it or not there is a great HPF in the Zoom B3 and MS60-B. The effect is called "Ac Bs Pre".
    It's a cheap option: (an MS60-B costs about $100 and you get all the other stuff as well.)

As TB member Peter Weil discovered:

Zoom B3 and MS60-B High Pass Filter

20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Maybe you should change the thread title so you don't get more discussions about HPF.

An envelope filter or wah pedal may do the trick, just set the threshold/attack so the filter doesn't open, or the wah so it opens just a bit.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021