Is there a difference between Yoopers and Canadians?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    So close...

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    what the hell are Yoopers?

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I met me some Yoopers back in August when I paid a visit to their natural habitat. Good folk.

-Mike

4. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Ya hey, der is a big differnz

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Americans from the upper peninsula of Michigan.

A hardy breed who may be forgiven their strange dialect.

6. My dad went to college in the UP. He still says eh...

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    I'm Canadian and can say it gets tiresome hearing that stupid "eh" crap when so few people say it. I've lived in Montreal, Toronto, and have visited a bunch of cities in my lifetime and have heard maybe a handful of people say that.

Same goes with "aboot."

From Canada to the US : "Get new material, guys."

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It's obvious you haven't seen "Strange Brew!"

You know I'm kidding, right?

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

LMAO......! Close at times but not the same. I don't think most people from the UP would agree though.

Rezdog

10. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Only Newfies and other maritime folk say "eh" and "aboot".

11. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I'm in the maritime and I don't say neither. The "eh" I ear the most is when you ask somebody a question and they hesitate so it's more of a "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" but that's not typically Canadian at all :p

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Dude, I tried to use a Cubase commercial tutorial DVD produced in Canada and the accent was so severe and jarring I couldn't concentrate on the content and blew it off. Those people couldn't pronounce "ou" properly to save their souls.

13. so, like, fargo?

14. Pfff, ya'll wait til you hear MY accent. Mix of french and early german thrown into an english learned after 16 years old. "eh" and "aboot" are the last things you won't understand coming from me :p

15. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Hm; I'm English Canadian, born in the province of Québec and raised in Montréal since the age of five. I habitually say "eh", in approximately the same places many Americans would say "huh". E.g.: "Good band, eh?"

I've never heard anyone say "about" in such a way that I would spell it "aboot". (Except Americans having fun with it :^) But I'm aware that that ow sound (spelt "ou") is a lot more closed down up here than in most parts of the US.

I do notice that many Canadians from the west close "ou" (ow) down even more than we do here. So I can understand why it sounds like a whole different vowel to many Americans. I can assure you that a southern American "about" sounds mighty exaggerated to our ears! :^D

Pronunciation is all relative; might as have some fun with it if you can. :^)

16. canooks collectively own fewer firearms than the average yooper,and are unaware of the existence of pasties.....

17. up'ers,or yoopers reside in the upper peninsula,state of michigan.....go over the bridge at the soo and hang a right....
    local diet game,fish,pasties and vast quantities of beer

18. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    And the best thing about Yoopers......they're all PACKER fans (well, most of 'em)

19. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Abahwt
    :p

20. As a part time Yooper, I give this description a +1.

It is also a very interesting mix of natives (the interesting people!), multi generation weekend homes primarily built by auto industry retirees in the 50's/60's/70's, and then the more recent batch of 'vacation home' people like us, primarily from the Chicago area and also Michigan and Wisconsin.

Wonderful place, and an interesting mix of cultures!