Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doodaddy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Is there a difference between the Avatar cabs that daveavatarspeakerscom sells on ebay on the cabs on his site?

It appears to be new and exactly the same, but why is there such a vast price difference?

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    there is no difference. Dave is the owner of AvatarSpeakers, and he sells some overstocks on ebay from time to time.

3. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Sweetness. I was thinking overstock or surplus, but there was such a dramatic difference I was hesitant.

I may just be doing a 4x10 if that stays relatively cheap. Think it could handle a 5 string?

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I imagine, but you may want to gt better confirmation. The only downfall on the ebay sales is that you tell him what ohmage you want :-\

5. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    What's wrong with telling him what impedence I want? I kinda like the idea of which cab I pick. :confused:

6. depends how you like your sound. I have always preferred 10s over anything else. i like my sound really well defined. i find 15's to lack a bit of clarity. you might like 12's though. if you want a bit more full really low end get a 4x10 and a 1x15 but i think the 4x10 is the best overall. cant go wrong with that

7. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, I looked over his auctions, and maybe he'll let you select what you want. I just figured that he wouldnt

8. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I figured a 4x10 would do well enough for the time being. :)

In his auction he states that winner chooses either a 4 or 8 ohm cab.

9. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Good deal, if he ever puts a 410 Neo up there, I'll have to hit up on it

10. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Yes. Leave the Delta alone. ;) I need it cheap. :) :D

11. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I want a Neo, and besides, I wont even get my 212 til wednesday, no sense in buying a new avatar cabinet before the other one has had time to arrive

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I figure that Dave still sells on eBay as a cheap form of advertising...

Occassionally he'll sell a slightly damaged cabinet (a nick in the carpet or tolex) at a larger discount and you don't get to pick the impedance.

He also sold off the prototypes of some NEO cabinets a while back.

You just have to read the auction copy carefully so you know what you're bidding on...

13. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    yeah, he always has bids on ebay. I bet he makes a killing on selling cabinets

14. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I would imagine so.

I probably won't be bidding within the next day or so; I'll make sure it's what I want. Luckly, it's college refund check time, so I can do this on a spur of the moment. ;)

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A couple years ago, I had a nice discussion with Dave about his business.

At the time, there were three employees at Avatar, Dave, his son and a helper. The cabinets are made by another company that Dave owns (makes me think that the speaker cabinet line kind of grew during low points in another business...with related machinery). The input cups are assembled by an outside firm.

Avatar does the final assembly and shipping.

Dave told me that he doesn't make much on each cabinet, but his sales volume (or as we call it at work throughput) is high enough that he's making a nice living.

Avatar prices really are incredible. If you add up the material costs as if you were going to build your own cabinet, Avatar doesn't charge much for design or assembly.