Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there a doc in the house? Swollen slapper...help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jay, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I am an 85% fingerstyle player, but occasionally with my band I slap. And when I do, it's hard. So hard that my thumb gets swollen and sore after every practice that I slap in. I mean, I have to go home and ice it for awhile to try to help it. I need some advice on what I should do about this because it's a real pain and I don't want to end up damaging my right thumb for life. So Dr. Mike, Dr. Snyder (maybe this is a chiropractic situation, I dunno) or anyone else that has ideas/solutions, please help. Thanks in advance y'all.

2. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Don't slap so hard would be my sollution, worked for me ;)

3. if it hurts that much don't do it until you can figure
    out how to do it the right way so it don't hurt is my solution.

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Patient: Doctor it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: well then dont do that!!!

You should ask a couple slappers in here about your technique. Repeat injuries often lead to permanent damage.

Mike

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Slapping doesn't require hard playing at all!
    Loosen up, you won't tire as fast and you'll be able to gain speed.
    Usually you develop a callous on the side of your thumb and that's it.
    If you have consistent trouble, you should try to improve your technique.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Get some hotter, higher output pickups and a better preamp/bigger amp.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Don't slap so hard, you should be able to match volumes, fungerstyle and slap. Barely bounce your thumb off the strings.

Relax, don't tighten your arm up.

Breath.

Practice control. When you start bashing, you're playing too hard. Your tone suffers, as does your body.

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I read an article a way back where the interviewer referenced Mark King's fingers looking like he had been attacked by a dog or something. I don't know whether that was from playing.

I go nuts and bang hard. I've been doing it for a while but I never hurt myself. Except for a few blister and calouses on my middle finger and some more on the top of my thumb after doing double thumbing for the first time. I don't think I started out aggressively. Loosen your hand up and let your thumb sling-shot or whip down.

Get hotter electronics so you can hold back a bit and still get tone.

But remember...it's better to burn out than to fade away, baby! That's why you have two thumbs (that was a joke).

9. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Mmmkay, the most obvious solution...:D :p

Well, I think I figured out why this happens. It's not the fact that I slap too hard, it's the fact that instead of bouncing off the string all the time I'll accidentally slide off the low strings and hit the pup. And since I slap really hard it hurts bad. Ouch. I'm pretty sure that if I work on my accuracy I'll be OK. Thanks y'all.

I'll use the search function to find technique threads instead of starting another one just so everyone can answer the same question for the 17th time. :D :rolleyes: