is there a doctor in the house?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Aug 13, 2004.

1. I get motion sickness alot. I always have to drive, because when riding passenger (especially in the backseat) I can get seriously car sick. Even small car rides can get my really sick (as in 15 min car rides), and it's not too uncommon for me to throw up. But I'm not asking about this, that is something genetic I'm sure I have no control over, and I've dealt with this my whole life.

See, last night I went to a show, and afterwards we went to a coffeeshop. This coffee shop is in the middle of downtown, so we're in for a good 20-30 minute car ride. As feared, I started getting carsick and after a bit I was ready to unload. But then, my body just shot numb. From my chest up, I couldn't feel anything. My hands started shaking violenty, which I didn't even notice til a friend pointed it out. My legs were fine, though I felt like I was going to collapse at any moment.

The numbness went away in about 15 minutes. But I was seriously freaked out. I couldn't feel a thing. Can someone explain what happened?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm not a doctor and have no idea.. but do ask a doctor... NOW!

My sister doesnt like going in cars over tight mountain passages and serpentines and sometimes gets sick. She takes Daedalon now and its okay
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm also not a doctor but honestly that sounds like something that was more caffeine induced or possibly a cross between the caffeine and the carsickness.

brad cook

4. this happened as we went to the coffee shop. And I didn't get any coffee, either.
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My son has had the same problem, we thought it was related
    to an ear infection when he was little that had some effect
    on the middle ear and inner ear. The cochlea, iirc, where the cilia in it, if agitated, can produce vertigo and motion sickness.

There is treatment available. He grew out of it, for the most part, after he hit 20. Ride in the front if you have to, fresh air helps. Tiredness makes it worse.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, the motion sickness part is quite common. There are various root causes, including chemical/hormonal, physical (inner ear and etc), neural, and mental/emotional. There are "many" treatments available for the various root causes.

The numbness part is "not" normal, and I agree with mutantbassist, you should probably see a doctor about that as soon as possible. Explain to him/her "exactly" what happened, and in what order, and in detail how the numbness felt and where it was in your body.

Not having an MD, I'm not supposed to give medical advice (or at least, you're not supposed to listen to it), but I have most of a PhD in neuroscience, and have some considerable clinical experience. Your symptoms could be just a nit, it could be your circulation was temporarily cut off because of the way you were sitting or something (although "from the chest up" sounds a little much in that regard). On the other hand, this could be quite serious, you may have suffered a small stroke. Definitely see a doctor.
  7. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Nopt a doctor, but it could be a panic attack. You seem to constantly fear getting car sick when travelling in the car and that fear can escalate uncomtrollably when you are in a situation (ie trapped in a car) - it may have resulted in you having a panic attack.

See a doctor.