1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a fix for truss rod rattle?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass349, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

I tried to search for the solution to this one, but haven't found any answers.

I've got an annoying rattle that happens when i hit the open E, A and D strings. It very much sounds like it's coming from inside the neck.. but just to be safe i tightened the tuning pegs and checked the nut (have also gone through a string change). You can only hear the buzz acoustically.

Tightening the trussrod makes it go away - but also puts undeirable relief in the neck.

The buzz was happening a while ago but went away when i got a full setup done a few months ago (fret dressing/general setup). I mentioned it to the luthier at the time who said he'd check it out.. when i got the bass back the buzz had dissapeared so i kinda forgot about it.

Unfotunately the rattle has come back with a vengeance. We're just hitting summer over here so the change in weather probably set it off.

What i was wondering was if anybody knew of a way to actually FIX this problem? the guy i took it to at the time didn't actually mention a fix, or if it was even possible to fix, just that he'd "check it out"..

All help would be muchly appreciated!

cheers,
    Andy

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    A little bit of rubber cement in the truss rod rout will probably quieten it down.

3. Take it to a professional luthier, explain the problem thoroughly, make sure he'll fix it.

Also, are you sure it isn't plain old fret buzz? (I'm sorry to ask such a stupid question).

4. Burg

Burg

Nov 29, 2001
    U.K.
    Have you checked your bridge saddles? I get a similar problem with my warwick when the string vibrates against the saddle. Try playing an open string and holding onto all of the parts of the bass that could possibly be rattling, if it carries on then it's probably the truss rod.

5. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    I don't get this part, tightening the trussrod should minimise relief, the more you tighten thr trussrod the more backbow you get. Looks like your neck is working against the string tension on its own and doesn't need any help from the trussrod.

6. Thanks for all the replies!

interesting... i actually vaguely remember reading this somewhere. Wouldn't the rubber cement impede the truss rod's function though? I mean, i can't imagine it would be a good idea to have the rod fused to the route.. Not sure if the rubber cement would do that though. hmmm..

Yep positive.. and it happens with open strings

Man, i've checked EVERYTHING... definately not the saddles.

Yep you're right... sorry i explained that wrong. But FWIW, tightening OR loosening the truss rod seems to make it go away.. but as the neck is set up perfectly at the moment, i'm hesitant to touch it.

Thanks for the replies.. keep 'em coming!

Andy

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "interesting... i actually vaguely remember reading this somewhere. Wouldn't the rubber cement impede the truss rod's function though?"

No. It doesn't affect the functioning of the TR at all.

Before you go to too much trouble, you may want to try loosening the TR nut and see if there is any lateral play in the threaded end of the rod. If there is, just a tiny amount of repositioning the rod can sometimes clear the problem up.

8. thanks pkr2!

I'm headed out of town on a gig tonight and then when i get back i've got my practical recital, end of year panel assesment, and a weeks worth of exams to deal with (not the best time to go messing with my bass, or to be heading out of town for a gig for that matter! :meh:), so i'll give your suggestion a go sometime at the end of next week.. I'll post back on here with the result!

cheers,
    Andy