Is there a forum/website that does this...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Recording exchange.

Here's how I envision it. You pop onto this website, and visit different catagories.

Whatever. Anyway, you go to your genre, then you find what the track needs/already has.

So, you select Reggae. OK, this Reggae song has drums and guitar, but it needs bass and vocals. So you could work on it, and add bass, then upload it, and show it to the person who submitted the original. They can decided at this point, "OK, we've got bass" or if your bass isn't what they were looking for, scrap it.

I know there are issues with copyrighting, etc. But musicians would have to be willing to go uncredited, unless the person isn't a jerk. Like if someone needed bass for an album, and you finished off their song for them. They could either go ahead and say they did the bass, or they could credit you. But you couldn't sue. It sucks, but that would create a mess of paper work. You should have to agree to an online waiver of your rights to "own" your performance. This might not be popular, but I think it would be fun, just to mess around.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd ask if Talkbass could do it, but people would have to upload wavs/mp3s/flacs!! sometimes at least. It's not very likely, but it would be killer.
  3. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    That would be a pretty awesome project, don't know anywhere like it though.
  4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I thought I remember hearing of something similar recently, but IIRC it was sort of a live thing. someone recorded something, and others could hear it for a bit, then play along with it, when they play along it's recorded with the original and the process repeats. I forget where I heard about it (it was probably here, I don't go many other places...) but it sounded interesting.
  5. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i THINK protools has something like that
  6. I thought I heard of this before as well but can't for the life of me remember what the name was or where I heard it from.

You would down load their multi track software (free I think) and then you could contribute you ideas.

I don't think you could randomly pick songs though, you would have a membership and then invite others to record their parts.

I like your idea better!
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Matt I think your idea could work. I like it!

The only thing that I think that should be mandatory is credit if the song was published. Not that you get royalties or have any control over it but just your name attached to it. Someone would basically be getting the work for free so why not atleast give a little credit to the particpating musician(s)?
  8. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    What you're suggesting would take a tremendous amount of bandwidth.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I agree, giving credit where credit is due. But it would be impossible to follow everything. And I'm sure there would be contracts, etc.

I know, the bandwith issue does make it an impossible dream.
  10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

When I used to hang on USENET, did some similar things to what you're suggesting. My favorite was where we all took the same basic tracks and remixed them, adding or subtracting any of the base tracks at will, and/or modifying those tracks by cut and paste, EFX, etc. So for instance I took the guitar solo and turned it into the intro, then put a bass solo of my own where the guitar solo had been. The same song ended up being everything from country to techno, it was pretty cool. We did everything in MP3 for up/downloads, then used wavs for whatever we did at home.
  12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    There was a website I knew of a year or two ago that did this, but you could only become a member by invite only.

I did a quick google search and this site came up, which seemed interesting --> . If you scroll to the bottom of the page there are links to collaboration software avail. for Win/OS X/Linux to make music over the 'net.