1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there a good music store anywhere near Boston?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 9Thumbs, May 6, 2017.

1. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Years ago, we had E.U.Wurlitzer's. They had everything, and people who knew whatever you needed to find out. I want to buy a new amp, but my only choice seems to be Guitar Center. A quick look at their inventories tells that they don't care at all about bass players.

I'm looking for a way to check out a few heads without having to buy them first and return the one I don't like. In particular, I'd like to compare the Peavey Mini Max and the Fender Rumble 500 head.

I'd be willing to drive quite a way to check them out.

Anyone know a good shop?....Thanks

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Mr. Music in Allston is a great little store with a very knowledgeable staff.

Maureen M likes this.
  3. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    South shore music in weymouth and crossroads in hanover.

1stnamebassist likes this.
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    +1 on Mr Music in Allston. Its the only old school place left from the EU Wurlitzer era. They have some nice vintage guitars and amps in stock. Its a small shop, but they get a lot of traffic, so stock turns over pretty regular. I used to have a loop id hit as a teenager, EU, Daddy's Junk Music, and a couple others, all long gone. GC killed all of them, and the Boston GC sucks, too many wannabee rock stars who last a couple months and then bail due to bad pay and no benefits. The GC in Braintree is smaller, but the staff is a little more stable.

5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Aghhh. That's a shame that those shops near Berklee are gone.

In a previous life, I used to go to a conference that was held at Copley the week after Thanksgiving every year. I think I went there for 17 years running. I used to always find some time in the evening to hit Wurlitzer and Daddy's. One of those visits, a Pedulla ET5 followed me home! That bass is gone; but I do still have a Tobias 6 that I located through Craigslist or eBay that a Berklee drop out sold to me in the bar at the Westin.

I'm a bit surprised that the all the activity surrounding Berklee can't support at least one shop that is a step up from GC. Most unfortunate.

6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Music Mill, Manchester, NH

Maureen M, JimmyThunder and Bassngtr like this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I bought my first real bass at EU Wurlitzer, 1979 Ric 4001 and an SVT head. The original Lead Sled, got sick of lugging it around after about a year and traded it for an Acoustic 360, young and stupid. We used to see Joe Perry all the time at EU, tiny guy around 5'-6". GC is ok if you know exactly what you want, the staff is clueless.

8. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    I bought my very first bass and several others from Jay at EU, I lived right up the street on circuit ave, I still talk to jay often, he's still one of the best guitar tech's around

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  9. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    I got my mesa D800+ from Georges music center in CT they had a pretty good stock of bass amps and cabs, they had some fender stuff but im not sure about peavey, you might find that at Union music in worcester

10. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    There was a cool little music place up near Harvard Square I called into last summer...I can't remember the name now...but it had some interesting basses...

11. I purchased my entire Mesa rig (D800+, 2x10 & 1x15) about a year ago from George's Music Center (mail order - he was the only retailer at the time that had the complete rig in stock). It was a pleasure doing business with George and one of the smoothest online transactions that I have made in a long time. You should definitely check out what he has in stock!

12. I used to work part-time weekends at the Seekonk Wurlitzer store. I spent more money there than i made! Always some great gear in there. Places like GC are great and all, but they lack that mojo.

13. maxmaroon

maxmaroon

Oct 25, 2010
    New England
    Union usually has a great selection of Peavey bass gear and I know they stock some Fender stuff now but not sure how much they have. I don't shop at Union very much but I rented space there for years and it's a great store...Carl (owner) is one of the nicest people you will ever meet; he is also an amazing guitar player.

gpx1200 likes this.
  14. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    Daddy's was the raddest. While I was at BC I bought a couple basses there. Didn't realize they were history.
    I'm sure the online shopping effect on brick and mortar stores (of which the GC franchise is certainly a part) had as much to do with their closing as the Boston GC itself.

15. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Try Empire Guitars in Providence. Great guys, very knowledgeable, and always have a bunch of interesting things. It's on 9th street, off of North Main, around the back.

Edit: Just reread the OP--they won't have what you are looking for, but it's still a hell of a store and worth the visit (especially for pedal junkies!)

Maureen M and logicman69 like this.
  16. I LOVE Empire here in Providence. Not alot of bass gear, but I was surprised on what they actually did have. It is a MUST for pedals though (One of the few places to try out all the cool pedals, and actually have them all in stock).

Another place I tend to love is Music-Go-Round just south of Boston. It's got that "Daddy's" vibe as you will never know what you will run into when there. Small shop, but you can find some good used gems buried in there.

I've heard a good amount about Mr. Music, but haven't made my way up there quite yet.

Honestly, though.. If I wanted to try out some serious gear, as far as basses go, and I was in the market to buy some, NYC is a 3 hour train ride away. Grab an Amtrack down to Penn Station. From there it's a short walk to a number of high end shops.

knigel likes this.
  17. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    Are Ray Mullin's and Luca Music still open in RI? That's where I got all of my stuff back in the 70s...

18. Maureen M

Maureen M

Nov 5, 2016
    NY/MA
  19. Luca kinda closed, but they still have some stuff still there (I think its now "Musicians Corner" or something like that). Ray Mullin's is still there. Never been to that shop though.

20. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Mr. Music is always on my stop if in the area, though it's been quite some time, glad to hear it's still going.